Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Running KNOPPIX From CD, Stops At Penguin Screen!

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    11

    Running KNOPPIX From CD, Stops At Penguin Screen!

    I've tried running KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso from CD, more than once but after about 1/2 an hour, during which my hardware is detected, it gets as far as the splash-screen with the Penguin sitting in the middle of a CD, then nothing.

    System specs:
    OS: Win. XP Pro.
    File System: NTFS
    MB: ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
    BIOS: Award
    CPU: AMD Athlon XP 1.6
    Ram: 256 Meg Crucial Memory
    HD: C80GB Western Digital Caviar SE, no partitions)
    CD Drive: DLiteon 40x12x48x Writer)
    DVD Drive: JLG GSA-4160B Writer, in external USB2 enclosure)

    Ajak.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    You will need to use qtparted to carve out a space for knoppix.

    In other words: partition your drive. I'm no expert in windows
    but linux can't use NTFS. You will need to decide how much space you want to
    give to the knoppix install and then what type of install you want to do.

    Then there's the subject of dual booting search for grub or lilo.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    11
    Sorry my mistake, I am trying to run KNOPPIX from the CD.

    Ajak,

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    You may need to experiment with the cheat codes to get
    knoppix to boot. See: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajak
    Sorry my mistake, I am trying to run KNOPPIX from the CD.
    No, it wasn't your mistake, you stated that clearly in the first post, and any question asked about Knoppix that is not asked in the hd forum should be assumed to be asked about the Live CD.

    I agree, cheat codes may be helpful, particularly nodma. You may also find that you need to burn the CD at a slow speed like 4x if you burned it faster (yea, I know, in theory your drive should burn disks at 48x or faster just fine, but a lot of people fianlly acknowledge that all they needed to do to get a CD to boot was burn it at 4x). And I certainly hope that you confirmed the md5 checksum of the iso file before burning it, to be sure that the download was not corrupt.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    11
    Yes I did burn at 4x & confirmed the md5 checksum, I don't think the download was corrupt, because I first bought the KNOPPIX 3.7 CD from http://www.cheeplinux.com/ & exactly the same thing happened.

    I just bought an old PIII 500Mhz PC w 128MEG RAM & 8GB HDD. I am planning to install Debian Linux on it but first I will format the HDD with FAT16, run the KNOPPIX CD & see what happens.

    Ajak.

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajak
    Yes I did burn at 4x & confirmed the md5 checksum, I don't think the download was corrupt, because....
    If you checked the md5 sum then the download was absolutely not corrupt, no further logic needed.

    Cheat codes should still help you boot, although finding the right codes for your particular situation can be perplexing.

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    41
    There's a cheat code (testcd, I think) will verify the image on the cd. If that fails, the problem would be either the CD or the CD-ROM drive.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajak
    Sorry my mistake, I am trying to run KNOPPIX from the CD.
    No, it wasn't your mistake, you stated that clearly in the first post, and any question asked about Knoppix that is not asked in the hd forum should be assumed to be asked about the Live CD.

    I agree, cheat codes may be helpful, particularly nodma. You may also find that you need to burn the CD at a slow speed like 4x if you burned it faster (yea, I know, in theory your drive should burn disks at 48x or faster just fine, but a lot of people fianlly acknowledge that all they needed to do to get a CD to boot was burn it at 4x). And I certainly hope that you confirmed the md5 checksum of the iso file before burning it, to be sure that the download was not corrupt.
    I don't remember seeing the live cd bit the 1st time I read the post & the post was edited!

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    london town
    Posts
    220
    i normaly burn cds at 24x ive never had no problem other then when i tryed to burn cd over a remote connection...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2006, 11:03 PM
  2. ........why a penguin?
    By bgart5 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-15-2005, 12:18 PM
  3. Knoppix Boot Stalls at Penguin
    By mentalalien2002 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-01-2004, 01:09 AM
  4. After big Knoppix logo, it stops
    By gerjan in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-27-2004, 08:41 PM
  5. Penguin OGG
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-06-2003, 06:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos picture

128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos

$97.60



Western Digital PC SN740 256GB M.2 2280 NVMe Internal SSD (SDDPNQD-256G) picture

Western Digital PC SN740 256GB M.2 2280 NVMe Internal SSD (SDDPNQD-256G)

$32.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



KingFast F10 256GB 2.5” SATA III SSD Tested Working 2710DCS23BF-256  picture

KingFast F10 256GB 2.5” SATA III SSD Tested Working 2710DCS23BF-256

$22.89



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$125.00