Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Hah. I broke it.

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    44

    Hah. I broke it.

    Okay, so I screwed over my system good. Linux, anyway.

    Normally i'd just reinstall, but i'm getting sick of taking the easy way out, and reinstalling all my other packages.

    I've spent a number of hours fiddling with it, trying to reverse what i did, but no luck. (I don't suppose there's some kind of configuration restore, is there?)

    I accidently did chown -R shadda /, and really, really screwed everything up (I meant to do chown -R shadda ./)

    When it first happened i couldn't login as root, I'd get

    shadda@cervantes$# su
    Sorry!

    Now, after fiddling (such as chowning everything back to root), i get

    shadda@cervantes$# su
    Password: ...
    Authentication Failure
    Sorry!

    I can login as root when i boot, but if i change to user shadda, and try to su or sudo, i get that error.

    Any ideas?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    You're talking about Knoppix installed to hard disk, right? If so why did you post here rather than in the HDD install forum?

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    44
    whoops. Sorry, I just thought it fit under general support.

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    If it involves a problem ralated to a hdd install, and this certainly seems to, then it has a much better chance of getting a good response there. I'll move it for you.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    44
    Thanks.

    And there is a new development.

    I went ahead and tried to reinstall knoppix, but something extremely weird happened.

    I've done this twice on this system already, without any problems whatsoever, but this time.....

    I boot the livecd, and everything is fine until it tries to start x. It stalls for a while, and then tells me that it failed to load KDE, and says i have insufficient memory. Which is crazy, I have 256mb ram in this thing, and i've installed this fine (from KDE) twice, and loaded the disc countless times.

    Anyone know what this is about?

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Just a guess, but the only thing that I can think of would be a swap file problem, since Knoppix will try to use a swap file if it finds one. Since you had a swap file from a previous HD install, you might try deleting the swap partition and recreating it.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    44
    Nope. That didn't do it. And when i first installed knoppix, i didn't even have a swap disk.

    Also, doing free -m tells me that i have 199mb free ram. This is crazy.

Similar Threads

  1. ndiswrapper broke on 3.8.1 & 3.8.2
    By GaTk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-02-2005, 10:38 PM
  2. many printers broke in knoppix 3.4+?
    By drews in forum General Support
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-12-2005, 06:59 AM
  3. java broke in 3.4?
    By drews in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-09-2004, 03:45 PM
  4. Oh dear, what have I broke?
    By joshua in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-15-2004, 02:15 AM
  5. installing kjumpingcube broke kde!
    By bennyp in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-13-2004, 07:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$119.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On) picture

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)

$499.99



Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard picture

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard

$149.99



Vintage DEC E2052-AA  AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap picture

Vintage DEC E2052-AA AlphaServer I/O Board 9 Gold Ceramic ICs 4.3 LB Gold Scrap

$749.99



VINTAGE DEC 54-20470-02 MULTI-PLANE SPX COLOR GRAPHICS CARD FOR VXT2000 TERMINAL picture

VINTAGE DEC 54-20470-02 MULTI-PLANE SPX COLOR GRAPHICS CARD FOR VXT2000 TERMINAL

$169.00



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99



Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working picture

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working

$111.00