-
Hah. I broke it.
Okay, so I screwed over my system good. Linux, anyway.
Normally i'd just reinstall, but i'm getting sick of taking the easy way out, and reinstalling all my other packages.
I've spent a number of hours fiddling with it, trying to reverse what i did, but no luck. (I don't suppose there's some kind of configuration restore, is there?)
I accidently did chown -R shadda /, and really, really screwed everything up (I meant to do chown -R shadda ./)
When it first happened i couldn't login as root, I'd get
shadda@cervantes$# su
Sorry!
Now, after fiddling (such as chowning everything back to root), i get
shadda@cervantes$# su
Password: ...
Authentication Failure
Sorry!
I can login as root when i boot, but if i change to user shadda, and try to su or sudo, i get that error.
Any ideas?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
You're talking about Knoppix installed to hard disk, right? If so why did you post here rather than in the HDD install forum?
-
whoops. Sorry, I just thought it fit under general support.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
If it involves a problem ralated to a hdd install, and this certainly seems to, then it has a much better chance of getting a good response there. I'll move it for you.
-
Thanks.
And there is a new development.
I went ahead and tried to reinstall knoppix, but something extremely weird happened.
I've done this twice on this system already, without any problems whatsoever, but this time.....
I boot the livecd, and everything is fine until it tries to start x. It stalls for a while, and then tells me that it failed to load KDE, and says i have insufficient memory. Which is crazy, I have 256mb ram in this thing, and i've installed this fine (from KDE) twice, and loaded the disc countless times.
Anyone know what this is about?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Just a guess, but the only thing that I can think of would be a swap file problem, since Knoppix will try to use a swap file if it finds one. Since you had a swap file from a previous HD install, you might try deleting the swap partition and recreating it.
-
Nope. That didn't do it. And when i first installed knoppix, i didn't even have a swap disk.
Also, doing free -m tells me that i have 199mb free ram. This is crazy.
Similar Threads
-
By GaTk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-02-2005, 10:38 PM
-
By drews in forum General Support
Replies: 32
Last Post: 01-12-2005, 06:59 AM
-
By drews in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-09-2004, 03:45 PM
-
By joshua in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 06-15-2004, 02:15 AM
-
By bennyp in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-13-2004, 07:03 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1599.99

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$225.00

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00

1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM
$344.97

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99