-
Junior Member
registered user
Getting back KDE-BASE ... :x
i did an apt-get install kdewallpapers, and then kde-libs and kde-base went kablooey ... they went bye-bye to make room for kdewallpapers .deb
grrrrrr. makes me mad that a wallpaper set messed things up, and i can't get a base file back.
i managed to get back kde-libs, but i can't get back kde-base
i tried removing the kdewallpapers deb that caused the mess, and reinstalled kde-libs, but it won't allow kde-base deb. is there any way to get it back after using the force option to no avail? it tells me that there are unsatisfied dependencies now with other components.
i even tried the --fix-broken option to apt-get.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Getting back KDE-BASE ... :x
1. Backup critical files (/etc and others)
2. Re-install.
--Sorry. Once I flamed KDE back to the Stone Age by de-installing WINE (this was months ago, prolly the 1st time I installed to HD) and there was really no alternative but a reinstall to completely fix the system.

Originally Posted by
athlonthunder
i did an apt-get install kdewallpapers, and then kde-libs and kde-base went kablooey ... they went bye-bye to make room for kdewallpapers .deb
grrrrrr. makes me mad that a wallpaper set messed things up, and i can't get a base file back.
i managed to get back kde-libs, but i can't get back kde-base
i tried removing the kdewallpapers deb that caused the mess, and reinstalled kde-libs, but it won't allow kde-base deb. is there any way to get it back after using the force option to no avail? it tells me that there are unsatisfied dependencies now with other components.
i even tried the --fix-broken option to apt-get.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I have roached KDE too. What a pain- I never did see any way to get it reinstalled BUT....After doing an apt-get update I went to /etc/apt and commented everything out of my sources.list except for security and testing. This has been working quite well and I've had no problems. It seems to me that the trouble is getting packages from all branches. What are you doing with your apt sources.list Dave?
-
Senior Member
registered user
--It's pretty standard, altho when that server in Germany went down a couple of weeks ago I had to switch to France.

Originally Posted by
rickenbacherus
I have roached KDE too. What a pain- I never did see any way to get it reinstalled BUT....After doing an apt-get update I went to /etc/apt and commented everything out of my sources.list except for security and testing. This has been working quite well and I've had no problems. It seems to me that the trouble is getting packages from all branches. What are you doing with your apt sources.list Dave?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Dave_Bechtel
--It's pretty standard, altho when that server in Germany went down a couple of weeks ago I had to switch to France.
No undesired results then I take it?
-
Senior Member
registered user
--Naw. Even tho France ain't supporting us in the war an' all I wouldn't expect them to sabotage a Debian source site just for spite. 
# See sources.list(5) for more information, especialy
# Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
# CDROMs are managed through the apt-cdrom tool.
# Security updates for "stable"
deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org testing/updates main contrib non-free
# Stable
deb http://ftp2.de.debian.org/pub/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp2.de.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
# Sources
deb-src http://ftp2.de.debian.org/pub/debian stable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp2.de.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
# Testing
deb http://ftp2.de.debian.org/pub/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp2.de.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free
# Sources
deb-src http://ftp2.de.debian.org/pub/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp2.de.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free
# Unstable
deb http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free
# Sources
deb-src http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free
# Experimental
# deb http://debian.uni-essen.de/debian ../project/experimental main contrib non-free
# deb-src http://debian.uni-essen.de/debian ../project/experimental main contrib non-free
# Mozilla
deb http://non-us.debian.org/~kitame/mozilla ./
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/~kitame/mozilla ./
# GNOME 2.0
# deb http://www.gnome.de/debian/ ./
# KDE 3
# deb ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/kde/stable/3.1/Debian stable main
# deb-src ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/kde/stable/3.1/Debian stable main
deb http://ktown.kde.org/~nolden/kde stable main
deb-src http://ktown.kde.org/~nolden/kde stable main
# cdbakeoven
# deb http://coyote.asoc.euitt.upm.es/mud/debian/ ./
# XFree 4.2
deb http://people.debian.org/~branden sid/i386/
deb-src http://people.debian.org/~branden sid/source/
# Java
deb ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/languages/java/linux/debian woody main non-free
# deb http://people.debian.org/~sgybas/jdk13
# LyX & others
deb ftp://ntama.uni-mainz.de/pub/debian unofficial/
deb-src ftp://ntama.uni-mainz.de/pub/debian unofficial/
# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 r3 _Potato_ - Official i386 Binary-1 (20010427)]/ unstable contrib main non-US/contrib non-US/main

Originally Posted by
rickenbacherus

Originally Posted by
Dave_Bechtel
--It's pretty standard, altho when that server in Germany went down a couple of weeks ago I had to switch to France.
No undesired results then I take it?
-
Senior Member
registered user
--Naw. Even tho France ain't supporting us in the war an' all I wouldn't expect them to sabotage a Debian source site just for spite.
lmao
-
Junior Member
registered user
Elbow grease ... brrrr
I reinstalled the system. Thank goodness it's a single CD to install. lol.
Win
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Elbow grease ... brrrr

Originally Posted by
athlonthunder
I reinstalled the system. Thank goodness it's a single CD to install. lol.
Win

Indeed- it sucks though when you have to reinstall and then make all of those tweaks, upgrades, changes, etc. again. If you have a little hard drive space to spare OR perhaps some cdr media to use you could easily backup your entire partition with this:
http://www.partimage.org
It is quick and painless to reinstall with this excellent software.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Elbow grease ... brrrr
--Personally, I use this script (don't forget to chmod +x it) BEGIN bkpsys
#!/bin/bash
mount /dev/hda13 /mnt/bkps
cd /mnt/bkps/local/debian
ls -l
bkpfname='hdb1-knoppix-32-GOODmods-20030329'
# Cmd not found?
#debsort
dpkg -l >~/DEBInstalled.list
# XXX BACKUP DEB CACHE BEFORE RUNNING $0!!
apt-get clean
time updatedb
time tar \
--exclude=/mnt/* --exclude=/proc \
--exclude=/cdrom --exclude=/floppy \
--exclude=/.journal --exclude=/lost+found \
-cvf - / | \
gzip -9cv >$bkpfname.tar.gz
ls -l
#********************
--If you have to restore, you'll have to create the excluded subdirs by hand; but I've tested it and works for me. (You'll also have to edit the script to suit your local partitioning, and create the backup dir.) And don't forget to re-run LILO.

Originally Posted by
rickenbacherus

Originally Posted by
athlonthunder
I reinstalled the system. Thank goodness it's a single CD to install. lol.
Win

Indeed- it sucks though when you have to reinstall and then make all of those tweaks, upgrades, changes, etc. again. If you have a little hard drive space to spare OR perhaps some cdr media to use you could easily backup your entire partition with this:
http://www.partimage.org
It is quick and painless to reinstall with this excellent software.
Similar Threads
-
By Tech2k in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-25-2005, 09:32 PM
-
Replies: 5
Last Post: 04-24-2005, 06:31 PM
-
By Rink in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-19-2004, 09:40 AM
-
By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 9
Last Post: 08-08-2003, 05:03 PM
-
By Dr_Blackross in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-20-2003, 12:41 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$36.99

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A
$49.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$259.00

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD
$29.99

Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop
$221.00