anyone?
I have just tried booting Knoppix 3.6. I get to the screen "Loading linux kernal" I have tried different cheat codes including failsafe and just cant get past that. Its a compaq and has a hidden partition for recovery, could this be a problem? Thanks.
anyone?
as linux does not use the hardrivew AT ALL, it works even without one, it is not likely to be the problem.
have you checked the md5sum?
did you burn it at slow speed?
have you tried with a diferent media (some cheap brands may be troublesome to get a decent boot/burn from)
Also, can you specify what happens when it hangs? does the screen blank out, or does it just hang at Loading Kernel......?
If it's a blanking screen, try the cheatcode fb1024x768. that has solved 70 percent of the boot hangs I've dealt with in here.
as for OErjan's qestion, the cd works, i have used it on my laptop. foamrotreturns, I had to type knoppix vga=normal to see the screen to get it not to blank out. I type knoppix vga=normal, then it continues till it gets to "loading linux kernel", then nothing, is there a way to monitor everything that is going on in the background?
sadly somd CD-readers can read a CDburnt at high speed others NOT. and to make things weird, depending on your hardware some brands might be less reliable than others, the higher priced ones generally better (not always).
i have also seen a cd that booted OK on one system but was not 100%ok, the checksum was wrong, on the next PC it crashed saying it coulsd not load kernal (probably a damaged module). the Cd should NOT have loaded, but it did.
Okay, i feel like an idiot. I was typing "acpi=false" instead of "acpi=off" works great now. geez![]()
Thanks. That just solved my problem.Originally Posted by foamrotreturns

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99
Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99
NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99
TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99
10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99
TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98
5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64
Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00
Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99