Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Using Knoppix with a RAID 0: Could be dangerous?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3

    Using Knoppix with a RAID 0: Could be dangerous?

    Hello,

    I have once used a 3.1 Knoppix on a computer, and now I wanted to try with mine. But I have a RAID 0 with two drives, and I fear, that if I try to mount my windows ntfs-partition, then the raid will be broken and I will lose the whole data in my hard drive. I also fear, that even without trying to mount the disk, knoppix could try to access the hard drive and then I could lose everything. Do you know, if I can try knoppix without danger? I would be really thank you if you could help me here.

    For additional information: I am using the integrated Promise Controller from my ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe, with two SATA-Drives from Samsung.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3
    Nobody can help me with this matter?


  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Well, when you raid a set of drives, particularly with a raid "solution" that depends on drivers in the OS to do a lot of the work, you petty much accept that you are not going to be able to see these drives with other OSs, with many recovery programs, and the like. Knoppix should not write to your disk. But to be safe, why risk it? You have 2 SATA drives. The connect by very small easy to disconnect plugs attached to your motherboard. Since you say you want to try Knoppix on CD but already know that it isn't going to even read that raid set of drives, why not just unplug the drives and try knoppix, then plug them back when you are done? (hint: it might be helpful to note which plug goes where when unplugging them, they may look a lot alike and raid will not get the joke if the plugs are reversed) Otherwise you can wait for someone else to come along and reassure you that nothing will go wrong when you boot with the drives still attached, but in the end it's you who take the risk and you who can do something to protect yourself.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3
    I didn't really think about this possibility, but in fact it is a good one. Just a little umconfortable to plug out and then plug in the drives each time I want to test something, but perhaps the easiest one. Thank you very much for your

    Jhoro

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    I do know that the 2.6 kernel has total support for Raid 0. However, I do not know if knoppix has this feature built in or how to access it.

    Sata from what I know only has limited support in linux however.

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by firebyrd10
    I do know that the 2.6 kernel has total support for Raid 0. However, I do not know if knoppix has this feature built in or how to access it.

    Sata from what I know only has limited support in linux however.
    I would approach this very cautiously. Having support to produce a RAID drive set can be very very different than being able to properly support a RAID configuration that was created by other software. Even if it looks like you can see the RAID set, you might end up damaging something if the two RAID implimentations do not match perfectly. Everything should be completely backed up and the system tested extensively under both OSs, swiching back and forth frequently, and being sure that the disks were filled nearly completely (not just a small number of files that would reside near the front of the disk) and lots of tests for data corruption were done before trusting this.

Similar Threads

  1. RAID not mounted - Want to secure data from RAID system
    By NatXotic in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-18-2006, 08:22 PM
  2. SATA-Raid Problem with 4.02 (Raid 1 not rocognized)
    By Eru_Ascar in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-10-2005, 02:01 AM
  3. dangerous toys olny for root
    By maxIT in forum Ideas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-03-2005, 02:12 PM
  4. Knoppix doesn't see RAID 0
    By ixalarx in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-13-2005, 06:25 PM
  5. Dangerous Newbie
    By Trevor in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-05-2003, 01:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Glyph StudioRAID 28TB External RAID Hard Drive Thunderbolt 2 USB 3.0 7200RPM picture

Glyph StudioRAID 28TB External RAID Hard Drive Thunderbolt 2 USB 3.0 7200RPM

$300.00



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile picture

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile

$18.49