are you behind a router?
i dont belive gaurd dog stars up at boot up. guard dog is a firewall i think the only one in knoppix but im not sure.
I figure this has to be firewall issues.... or maybe GAIM just sucks for file transfers..... I cant do direct connect, or file transfers with anybody.... I can do it fine on my mac though, and when i boot into windows on this machine, works fine..... I havent installed any firewall software though....... is there a built in firewall with knoppix? and how could i possibly fix this?
are you behind a router?
i dont belive gaurd dog stars up at boot up. guard dog is a firewall i think the only one in knoppix but im not sure.
You should be able to see if the knoppix firewall is active with: iptables -nvL
If it's running you can open ports with something like:
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 6891:6893 -j ACCEPT
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -i eth0 -p udp -m udp --dport 6891:6893 -j ACCEPT
Change eth0 if you have something different and I hope you know what opening ports means security wise.
Another way to check would be to run lsmod and see if ipt_ and iptables_ modules are loaded.
As you probably guessed I don't run knoppix so I don't know where the firewall script is run from. Possibly it's in /etc/init.d or /usr/local/bin and is started by some script in /etc/rc*
EDIT: hmm. Did the above post get just edited and the comments about guarddog added to it or am I going blind?
Well, if it's guarddog tinker with that instead of running the above commands for iptables.
ya i edited my post took away the question asking what firewall they was using, and adding the comments about gaurd dog.
i dont belive the problem is with knoppix its self but more with gaim.
from my current understanding of the msn / yahoo protocol (if thats what your using gaim for) is that when a file transver takes place the client will try to connect to 2 differnt ips the one of the client there trying to send the file to and msn / yahoos servers. if the connection for client to client fails then the person trying to send the file will send it via the server.
i would like to know if you have managed to connect to a person directly using gaim on windows.
the offical msn client uses plug and play (i belive) and tends to make direct connection much easyer.
it would also help to know if the person your trying to connect to is behind a firewall of any sort, either hardware based (router) or software based
Ok, so yea..... I ran iptables -nvL.... and this is what came up
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 9881 packets, 14M bytes)
pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination
Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination
Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 7420 packets, 435K bytes)
pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination
and in lsmod, these are the only IP related things that show
iptable_filter 1768 0 (autoclean) (unused)
ip_tables 11768 1 [iptable_filter]
AND i tried running this.... $IPTABLES -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 6891:6893 -j ACCEPT
bash: -A: command not found
I do understand what opening ports does.... I actually do Apple Computer Technical support.... but we never fuck with terminal in OS X. And the firewall issues are a bit easier in OS X. But any other help would be awesome. I can direct connect within windows using AIM with almost all my buddies. But i cant do anyhting like that with GAIM.
i belive its a gaim issue.
normaly when i use the offical clients while in windows i get direct connections but while using linux and gaim i can never get a direct connection. so really i dont think theres anything you can do about it.
Forgot to replace $IPTABLES with iptables as I copied that from my firewall script, but as I said you should have tinkered with knoppix firewall instead. As iptables isn't even loaded, pureone is correct, not a firewall problem.

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 500GB NVMe | 3TB HDD
$855.00
Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99
1U Server Intel Xeon E3-1240 V5 3.5Ghz 4C 32GB RAM 2x M.2 2280 OCP RJ45 Rails
$310.00