How the cheatcode that runs the os in ram leaving the cdrom free. I believe it is quite responsive. Downside 1GB of ram is necessary. Maybe something smaller like Damn Small Linux could work well for a file server using less memory...
johnb
I'm thinking about setting up a little fileserver at home, probably 6x200gb IDE disks. Now instead of having to have an extra disk for a system installation, could I run Knoppix live from the CD to share my files? Preferably with samba, and without having to tweak the system too much, what do you think, is this spossible?
How the cheatcode that runs the os in ram leaving the cdrom free. I believe it is quite responsive. Downside 1GB of ram is necessary. Maybe something smaller like Damn Small Linux could work well for a file server using less memory...
johnb
But does the default Knoppix distribution support samba and filesharing? How do i setup shares and file persmissions?
I don't have a box myself to try this on at the moment thats why i'm asking![]()

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$169.99
Dell PowerEdge R740 E38S001 Server E38S
$660.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$368.00
Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU
$1100.00
Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99