In windows xp device manager ,select view/show hidden devices, then uninstall the sound devices (all).
Then restart XP Pro, when the new hardware is discovered cancel. install the sound drivers from the ASUS disc instead.
I am troubleshooting a noisy Windows XP driver on an integrated sound chip on an ASUS A7VX-X motherboard. I have successfully loaded Knoppix 3.7 and it picked up the sound info but no sound plays. I know nothing about Linux but was hoping this CD based OS would help trouble shoot further a rather noisy sound (occurs turned up and whenever there is any hard disk activity, mouse movement, etc) under Windows XP Pro SP2.
Can someone help me test further?
thanks
In windows xp device manager ,select view/show hidden devices, then uninstall the sound devices (all).
Then restart XP Pro, when the new hardware is discovered cancel. install the sound drivers from the ASUS disc instead.
it's not in XP that I'm having a problem "identifying" the sound card. I want Knoppix to see it. I understand there's a particualr issue with Knoppix and this motherboard/soundchip (ASUS A7V8-X)

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95
Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47
Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$139.99
Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive
$29.99
Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11
$334.67