-
Junior Member
registered user
fubar on hdd intstall HELP!
I have a 120GB IBM HDD, I installed windows xp (read crappy) on a 40GB partition (primary, bootable) created another 40GB (logical patition) and installed knoppix. Everything went great! or so I thought! When I rebooted the macine all I got on the screen was 11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 111111111
11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 1111111
111111111111111
then it just hangs there!
FUBAR!
Can anyone help??
-
Sounds like a Lilo problem. They happen to me all of the time. Did you make a boot floppy? If not you can make one from the dos utils on the Knoppix CD. Once you get into your HD install then type lilo to reinstall the boot loder.
-
Senior Member
registered user
MattT is right on - it looks like a bootloader problem. Hopefully you did make the boot floppy. Boot with it- become root and do a
/sbin/lilo
Then if it installs correctly you'll be able to boot from the LILO menu next time. If it doesn't install correctly it will give you an error. Post the error if you need an assist.
-
Junior Member
registered user
WELL I DID NOT! I used the windozzzz XP disk to reset my MBR, then I reinstalled my HDD partition again with knopix, peace-a-cake, but again, after the install was complete I checked my lilo config, everything was ok, I ran lilo just to make sure,
same problem, I tried a debain woody install disk, same problems agian. I will try with grub reply to this mailing list. So far my experience with lilo..... IT SUCKS!
-
Senior Member
registered user
Hey, where's the fire?
Making no bootfloppy is kinda like "your fault", but...
...I didn't make on either, and...
...When you have just installed Knoppix there is no real danger in not being able to boot into it. You can always reinstall, or do what you did, boot the Windows boot disk and "fdisk /mbr".
The hdinstaller *should* indeed give you the choice between LILO and Grub. It would be even better if the choise was more or less automated, if either one will not work on your particular config. There should have been documentation on adding Linux to the XP boot menu, etc. But...
...You didn't pay a cent for it. (well...)
So if you would want it added, you can hire Klaus Knopper. Or hope he (or someone who helps him) adds it all by himself 
Trying to be friendly would shurely help.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
manjo
WELL I DID NOT!
You should always make a boot floppy no matter what the OS.
I used the windozzzz XP disk to reset my MBR, then I reinstalled my HDD partition again with knopix, peace-a-cake,
Did you choose 'yes' when it asked to install LILO to the MBR?
but again, after the install was complete I checked my lilo config, everything was ok,
In lilo.conf it will tell you if you installed LILO to your /root directory or the MBR. MBR is of course hda1. Your /root directory is the same one you installed Knoppix to.
I ran lilo just to make sure,

same problem,
What was the output when you ran /sbin/lilo?
I tried a debain woody install disk, same problems agian. I will try with grub reply to this mailing list. So far my experience with lilo..... IT SUCKS!
Since LILO is the most commonly used boot loader for Linux I would venture to guess that it was user error.
LILO works flawlessly for me. If you're still interested in using LILO post your lilo.conf and some hard drive partition details and we'll see if we can get it fixed up for you.
-
Definately a lilo problem
I screwed up and installed lilo in root instead of hda1, so needless to say, all i got at reboot was 99 99 99 99 99 99 to infinity. Luckily, just as a precaution, i did creat a boot disk.
So when installing to hdd, be cafeful when it comes to lilo install, and be sure to point it to hda1 instead of root. After i booted with floppy, i redid the lilo making sure it went to hda1, and it works great.
Similar Threads
-
By mindmeddler2003 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-02-2004, 03:49 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD
$239.99

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID
$24.43

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.26

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00