Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Captive NTFS on Knoppix 3.6 and WInXP / NTFS hard drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2

    Captive NTFS on Knoppix 3.6 and WInXP / NTFS hard drive

    Hello,

    I am using the Knoppix 3.6 cd and I would like to mount my C drive so I can copy
    files from there and maybe after finishing the work, copy the files back.

    I tried the command :

    mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1

    but I get a message saying :

    /dev/hda1 is not a valid block device.

    I read through the forum and also searched the net and found that using captive NTFS can help,
    I started its wizard and it was scanning all the directories but it could not find any drivers for
    the NTFS - for ntfs.sys and ntoskrnl.exe, then after it finished the scan I saw the message :

    Detection of language localized MS-Windows drivers is missing.
    You may need to copy localized ntfs.sys and ntoskrnl.exe to /var/lib/captive by cp command.

    I clicked forward, then t suggested that I download a part of service pack 1 of
    Windows XP.

    I don't understand one thing and I would appreciate if someone can direct me in
    the right way - is there no NTFS driver installed in the Knoppix distribution itself ?
    do I have to get it from the outside, but then since I use only the cd and not a permanent hd install for Knoppix, how can I do this, any help will be appriciated !!!
    (also how can I save the knoppix settings so every time after I boot the cd I will be able to
    copy files from my C drive without doing this whole process again).

    Thanks

    Itay

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Captive NTFS on Knoppix 3.6 and WInXP / NTFS hard drive

    Quote Originally Posted by itaydagani
    I am using the Knoppix 3.6 cd and I would like to mount my C drive so I can copy
    files from there
    and maybe after finishing the work, copy the files back.
    Not spending a lot of time on what went wrong with the mount command, Knoppix should have a hda1 icon on the desktop that you can use to mount hda1 with read only and copy the files with.

    As to putting the files back, what type of partition is hda1? You should not write to an NTFS partition with Knoppix.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for your answer, I will check it, I have a disk on key, does Knoppix deal with these
    usb devices ?

    Thanks

    Itay

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by itaydagani
    Thanks for your answer, I will check it, I have a disk on key, does Knoppix deal with these
    usb devices ?...
    Some people have reported problems with some flash devices but most of us, including myself, have had no problems. Be sure it is plugged in when you boot and see if you don't get a desktop icon for it. You may have to use the right click feature and select "action..." to make it read/write, I think it will default to read only if you do not (like Knoppix hard drives). I haven't been able to get mine bootable yet (even though my notebook claims to be able to boot from USb devices), but that's a different issue.

Similar Threads

  1. Accessing hard drive (NTFS - Windows XP) from USB Knoppix??
    By tecnoL in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-10-2007, 11:56 AM
  2. unable to write to NTFS with captive-ntfs
    By harry66 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 05:03 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 04:36 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-01-2005, 08:08 AM
  5. captive ntfs - mount ntfs (reade/write) through icon
    By terminator in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 10:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



MSI B460m-Bomber LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen B460 M-ATX Intel Motherboard picture

MSI B460m-Bomber LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen B460 M-ATX Intel Motherboard

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW

$121.45



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



JINSHA B450M B450 AM4 MicroATX Motherboard DDR4 2DIMM M.2 W/ IO SHIELD picture

JINSHA B450M B450 AM4 MicroATX Motherboard DDR4 2DIMM M.2 W/ IO SHIELD

$49.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU

$45.00



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99