Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Network connection is dropped?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    14

    Network connection is dropped?

    I have Knoppix 3.7 installed on a machine here at school, connnected to our network. An odd thing is happening. When booted, the network connection is fine, we can print, access the web, the whole thing. Then, after a while (I haven't been able to reliably time it, but my guess is that it's about an hour) the network connection fails and we can't access the network, the web, the networked printer, and on and on.

    I'm not sure how to check on what's going on with the network. I'm sure that there is a utility or command that I can use to check on the network, shut it down and restart it, whatever is necessary.

    One bit of information that might be useful is to tell you that logging out of the account does not do anything, but restarting the machine does. I haven't tried accessing as root to see if that makes a difference. I'll try that the next time it fails.

    If this isn't the right place to ask this, please let me know where to post. Thank you very much.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    To see all network devices:
    ifconfig -a

    To stop all network devices & restart them
    /etc/init.d/networking restart

    To show the routing & default gateway:
    route
    or
    netstat -r

    To refresh IP address from DHCP server
    pump -i eth0 --renew

    To view system events & messages
    tail -f /var/log/messages
    tail -f /var/log/syslog
    (Use CTRL-C to exit tail)

    I hope this helps.
    James

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Dusseldorf, Germany
    Posts
    8
    Well, it helped me and I didn't want to leave it naked here, so I donate my appreciation.

Similar Threads

  1. Searching for CD: then dropped in shell!
    By textriallaw in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-17-2006, 04:50 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-01-2004, 11:03 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-12-2004, 08:27 PM
  4. Sharing network connection
    By Jeffr680J in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-08-2004, 10:46 AM
  5. network (tcp) connection via USB-cable?
    By strogon42 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-31-2003, 05:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


1x64GB Hynix HMAA8GL7MMR4N DDR4 PC4 2133P-LE0-11 4Rx4 ECC LRDIMM Server RAM picture

1x64GB Hynix HMAA8GL7MMR4N DDR4 PC4 2133P-LE0-11 4Rx4 ECC LRDIMM Server RAM

$320.00



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99



Micron 8GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA ECC RDIMM RAM (MTA9ASF1G72PZ-3G2E2 picture

Micron 8GB DDR4 3200MHz PC4-3200AA ECC RDIMM RAM (MTA9ASF1G72PZ-3G2E2

$30.00



SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory picture

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory

$159.98



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Nanya NT32GA72D4NFX3K-JR 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-3200AA K25 DDR4 RDIMM RAM Server Memory picture

Nanya NT32GA72D4NFX3K-JR 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-3200AA K25 DDR4 RDIMM RAM Server Memory

$199.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99



x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM picture

x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM

$329.99