-
Junior Member
registered user
Network connection is dropped?
I have Knoppix 3.7 installed on a machine here at school, connnected to our network. An odd thing is happening. When booted, the network connection is fine, we can print, access the web, the whole thing. Then, after a while (I haven't been able to reliably time it, but my guess is that it's about an hour) the network connection fails and we can't access the network, the web, the networked printer, and on and on.
I'm not sure how to check on what's going on with the network. I'm sure that there is a utility or command that I can use to check on the network, shut it down and restart it, whatever is necessary.
One bit of information that might be useful is to tell you that logging out of the account does not do anything, but restarting the machine does. I haven't tried accessing as root to see if that makes a difference. I'll try that the next time it fails.
If this isn't the right place to ask this, please let me know where to post. Thank you very much.
-
Senior Member
registered user
To see all network devices:
ifconfig -a
To stop all network devices & restart them
/etc/init.d/networking restart
To show the routing & default gateway:
route
or
netstat -r
To refresh IP address from DHCP server
pump -i eth0 --renew
To view system events & messages
tail -f /var/log/messages
tail -f /var/log/syslog
(Use CTRL-C to exit tail)
I hope this helps.
James
-
Well, it helped me and I didn't want to leave it naked here, so I donate my appreciation.
Similar Threads
-
By textriallaw in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 13
Last Post: 07-17-2006, 04:50 AM
-
By l0815 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-01-2004, 11:03 PM
-
By l0815 in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-12-2004, 08:27 PM
-
By Jeffr680J in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-08-2004, 10:46 AM
-
By strogon42 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-31-2003, 05:58 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord
$49.99

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95