Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Adding a DVD writer post- HD-install

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32

    Adding a DVD writer post- HD-install

    Hey everyone, I run a Knoppix 3.4 HD-install on my home computer. It currently has a combo CD writer/DVD reader drive, but I've been thinking about adding an internal DVD writer.

    What I'd like to know is, will there be any problems installing a new piece of hardware like this on an existing HD-install? I'd rather not have to do any significant OS modifications. SImple updates through Apt-get would be fine of course.

    I'm guessing things with hardware and drivers overall are better now, but part of the reason I'm asking is that a few years back I replaced a standard CD drive with a CD writer on a dual boot Mandrake machine, but I never did get the writer to work under Linux, and reinstalling wasn't really an option (very limited HD space). So if anyone could answer this question and point out any potential pitfalls I be quite grateful. Also, I'd appreciate any recommendations on good models of internal DVD writer to buy and install.

    Some info about my system:
    Knoppix 3.3 HD-install, 2.4 kernel
    Athlon XP on Asus MB
    IDE hard drive
    IDE CD writer/DVD reader (all functions work properly here)

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32

    update

    Since I haven't gotten any replies yet I thought I might relax the restrictions on my problem.

    While I would prefer an internal DVD writer I could live with an external one, though it would be nice to know the pros and cons for each. Also, whatever I need to do to my Knoppix/Debian install I'll do (as long as it doesn't mean a reinstall) as long as someone can explain what likely needs to be done.

    If anyone is pretty sure that I can just install a drive and have it Just Work (TM) because my system likely already has everything it needs working, I'd appreciate knowing.

    Thanks.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    I would think that a fstab update would be needed and running running k3bsetup should be all thats needed.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    200
    Should be fine. Your experience a few years ago was just that - a few years ago. So many advances in Plug and Play compatibility have been made since then that you should not have much trouble at all. I would go with the internal personally.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32
    Good to hear. I suspected this might be true, especially since I already have a working CD burner/DVD reader, and already use k3B, but would rather be safe than sorry.

    And I think I will go with the internal, as my desk is cluttered enough as it is.

Similar Threads

  1. Post install questions (firewire hdd install)
    By c123 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 09:31 AM
  2. Post hd install cleanup
    By bamarob in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-25-2003, 12:16 PM
  3. Post-install DVD drive problems
    By stupidflanders in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-04-2003, 10:05 AM
  4. emu10k1 post install
    By Lilmuckers in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-30-2003, 11:20 AM
  5. Post hd install
    By andecla in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-18-2003, 07:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch Network Expansion TL-SG105 picture

TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch Network Expansion TL-SG105

$19.95



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95