-
Adding a DVD writer post- HD-install
Hey everyone, I run a Knoppix 3.4 HD-install on my home computer. It currently has a combo CD writer/DVD reader drive, but I've been thinking about adding an internal DVD writer.
What I'd like to know is, will there be any problems installing a new piece of hardware like this on an existing HD-install? I'd rather not have to do any significant OS modifications. SImple updates through Apt-get would be fine of course.
I'm guessing things with hardware and drivers overall are better now, but part of the reason I'm asking is that a few years back I replaced a standard CD drive with a CD writer on a dual boot Mandrake machine, but I never did get the writer to work under Linux, and reinstalling wasn't really an option (very limited HD space). So if anyone could answer this question and point out any potential pitfalls I be quite grateful. Also, I'd appreciate any recommendations on good models of internal DVD writer to buy and install.
Some info about my system:
Knoppix 3.3 HD-install, 2.4 kernel
Athlon XP on Asus MB
IDE hard drive
IDE CD writer/DVD reader (all functions work properly here)
-
update
Since I haven't gotten any replies yet I thought I might relax the restrictions on my problem.
While I would prefer an internal DVD writer I could live with an external one, though it would be nice to know the pros and cons for each. Also, whatever I need to do to my Knoppix/Debian install I'll do (as long as it doesn't mean a reinstall) as long as someone can explain what likely needs to be done.
If anyone is pretty sure that I can just install a drive and have it Just Work (TM) because my system likely already has everything it needs working, I'd appreciate knowing.
Thanks.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I would think that a fstab update would be needed and running running k3bsetup should be all thats needed.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Should be fine. Your experience a few years ago was just that - a few years ago. So many advances in Plug and Play compatibility have been made since then that you should not have much trouble at all. I would go with the internal personally.
-
Good to hear. I suspected this might be true, especially since I already have a working CD burner/DVD reader, and already use k3B, but would rather be safe than sorry.
And I think I will go with the internal, as my desk is cluttered enough as it is.
Similar Threads
-
By c123 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 04-20-2004, 09:31 AM
-
By bamarob in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-25-2003, 12:16 PM
-
By stupidflanders in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-04-2003, 10:05 AM
-
By Lilmuckers in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-30-2003, 11:20 AM
-
By andecla in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-18-2003, 07:53 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6
$210.00

Lot of 10 Samsung 16GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 SODIMM M471A2G43AB2-CWE 160GB
$1319.99

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Micron 64GB (32GB x2) DDR5-5600 JEDEC DIMM Workstation Memory (Innodisk branded)
$895.00

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

SK Hynix 32GB Server Memory 2Rx4 PC4-2400T-R81-11 HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH Server RAM
$169.99

NEW IN BOX - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32gb (2x16gb) DDR6200 CL36 CMH32GX5M2B6200C3
$550.00

LOT OF 27-Mixed Lot of 8GB (27x8GB=216GB TOTAL) PC3L-12800R ECC REG Server RAM
$99.99