I'm going to take a stab at it and guess that you have partitioned 220 GB of your 250 GB hard drive for Windows' NTFS. Am I right?
Well, I am newb to linux .... only used it a few times. I just got a 250gb hd, and linux only lets me use 30gb of it .... I figured out how to make it let me use the whole thing on windows ... but this aint windows, so I have no clue what to do...
any help is appreciated ...
I'm going to take a stab at it and guess that you have partitioned 220 GB of your 250 GB hard drive for Windows' NTFS. Am I right?
nope, I do not have windows installed on my hd .. windows only saw 30gb or my hd too ....
If Windows only "saw" 30 GB of the 250 GB hard drive, what did you do to make it let you use the whole thing?Originally Posted by dextermovies
How old is your computer? Perhaps there is some kind of BIOS issue.
Would it be that you have only partitioned 30G of the hhd space only? Windows or linux won't be able to see the space you didn't partition.
It's time for you to upgrade your bios.
well, I have a computer that is running amd athlon 64bit processor , 2400+ speed .. 2 512 xms memory stick, 1 1gb memory stick (all corsair, so they are not cheap) .. a 250gb hard drive, and a 168 gb hard drive ... I have to use western digital to make winodws see all of my hard drive space ... and I have the most up to dat bios I could find a download for ...
I have several differn't types of linux os's ... and all only see 30gb of my hd .... I have windows installed on my 168gb .. I want to use all of my 250gb for linux, and evetually conver my 168gb to linux as well ..
my 250gb hard drive is not partioned at all ..
what does fdisk say about the drive?
I thought fdisk was just used for partioning ... and it is not included windows xp .. as far as I know
For the most simplistic approach, open a Console (little black box at bottom of screen) and type
sudo qtparted
Click the drive (make sure nothing is mount on that disk) and check things out.
If there is alot of grey then that space isn't partitioned.

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99
HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD
$249.00
Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core 4750U 1.70 GHz 512 GB SSD 16 GB RAM Win11Pro
$240.00
AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 4.7GHz Socket AM5 CPU 5600MHz 96MB L3
$355.00
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11
$89.99
Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00
AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99
Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD
$179.99
DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS
$99.99
Panasonic CF-20 Core M5-6Y57 8GB RAM 256GB, SSD,WIN 11,
$225.00