I have been a Knoppix/Linux user for about a year now and have used Knoppix 3.2->3.7. I work for my school and what we have done in the past with both 3.2 and 3.4 is copied the compressed file system to a fat32 partition on hda2 and use GRUB to load the kernel and initrd. I have run in to what seems to be quite a roadblock. We are trying to use this setup on IBM ThinkPad R40's which seem to have buggy bios' (though fully updated) in which the 2.4 kernel cannot correctly identify the harddrive. When booting from the live-cd using the cheatcode "knoppix26" this appears to work perfectly, it boots. But when using the linux26 kernel and minirt26.gz in the /boot/isolinux directory of the cd with GRUB the kernel quickly panics. I have tried including the fromhd cheatcode with and without arguments. I then tried the linux26 and minirt26.gz from the 3.4 livecd which worked to a limited extent (using the same grub.conf). Knoppix booted without most hardware being detected but it did boot, and the harddrive was recognizable. I know I am probably missing something simple, or something that has been discussed already, but after a full 8 hours of googleing and trial-and-error I'm about at wits end. Right now I have Knoppix 3.4 booting right now, but it does not have support for all our hardware (we need to get wireless working). I have checked the md5's of my cd's but the kernel will still occasionally complain about a checksum error reading the initrd.
We would prefer this setup because it is read-only, students need to be able to use it without easily breaking it. We use GRUB because we need to also dual boot to Windows. Am I missing something simple? Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99
Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69
OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99
WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99
Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95
Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile
$18.49
CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go
$75.00