-
Installing Knoppix
Hey.
I am recently obtained a copy of Knoppix and would like to install it to my hdd. I have two hdd, one being a NTFS where my copy of Windows is on and a second one which is FAT32. This drive holds all my apps and is the drive I mount when using knoppix.
I am thinking of creating a small partition (about 5gb) on the FAT drive for a linux installation. Creating the partition won't be a problem.
What I do want to know:
How should I go about when installing Knoppix to the hdd.
Will Knoppix create a duel-boot screen between Knoppix and Windows.
What is the chances that I might loose any information on either of my hdd when installing Knoppix.
Please just keep in mind that I am fairly new to the Linux environment and have never installed a *nix based o/s.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.
-
Senior Member
registered user
This is where you are told "Back up anything you would not want to lose."
Most installs are pretty straight-forward but do a back up.
As to how to install it depends if you want a debian install or the simpler
knoppix installer. Some people do not recommend using knoppix for a hard drive
install you might want to read more about that I'm re-thinking it myself Just because
something is easy doesn't make it good (for a non-intended purpose) The primary goal
of knoppix is a live cd. A debian install is extremely stable. I wouldn't neccessarily say
that about knoppix. So that's my flame-bait on that.
As far as the dual boot question; yes knoppix should recognize your windows install
and set grub ( it is grub in recent versions-right?) or lilo up to dual boot.
Chances on losing data-read the first sentence. It is possible even while it's un-likely.
Similar Threads
-
By knopnoob2005 in forum Ideas
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-08-2005, 06:02 PM
-
By marijn in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-09-2004, 10:10 PM
-
By pbearseven in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 11-20-2003, 02:54 PM
-
By raditux in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-08-2003, 11:18 PM
-
By jza in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-03-2003, 11:30 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99