-
problems with Knoppix recognizing new fresh nothing-on-it hd
I made a image of my stuff on to DVD using knoppix dvd burn, I bought a brand spanking new hd (80 meg ) at a computer show, I want to use knoppix to dump all the info on the DVD on to the new HD, On com cable 1 I have ONLY the new hd connected on the end of cable, no slave, with jumper set to master ( other com cable has dvdrom reading knoppix with a dvd writer as slave....they are recognized, no problem there) Knoppix doesnt recognize, I think, the hd... the boot up sequence mentions enabling DMA for a "Hda" thinking it IS recognizint the HD ( the bios I think is recognizing the new hd, cuz it mentions sectors and stuff like that ) when I open this hda in konquerer and when I try to transfer files off DVD writer to new hd ( hda ) I get a flag saying " access denied"
how can I for sure know knop IS recognizing the new hd, how can I get the capability to transfer files, knop should say hd size right?? IT doesn't say nothing
please help
Randy
-
Senior Member
registered user
Two things:-
1). A brand new drive may be unformatted and with no partition table, you need to use a tool like QTparted or similar to make a partition and then format that partition.
2). Knoppix boot from CD does not mount drives as read-write - only read only, this is to help inexperienced users from destroying stuff, or attempting to write to NTFS partitions (a define no-go)
If it's just the latter, you can remount a drive using:-
mount -o remount,rw /dev/hdax
- Hope this helps a bit.
I'm a noob, so hopefully others will reply and help (or correct me if I'm wrong!)
Stoo.....
Similar Threads
-
By ApocalypticChaos in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-05-2006, 01:15 AM
-
By oceans11 in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-25-2005, 06:59 AM
-
By gmmiddle in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-11-2005, 04:49 PM
-
By vlader2004 in forum Ideas
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-06-2005, 01:04 AM
-
By Encrypted_File in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 15
Last Post: 02-28-2004, 11:22 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95

Grandstream GXW4224 24-Line FXS Analog VoIP Gateway, Ethernet RJ-45 Black
$165.00

Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE
$225.00

Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone
$225.00

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00

NEW Cisco CP-840 Wireless WiFi IP VoIP Phone 840 w Battery Charger Cable
$800.00

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H
$19.99

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28

Set of 5 USED IPitomy IP620-B HD VoIP 6-Line IP Phone Speakerphone Ethernet POE
$149.00

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP
$400.00