Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Newbie needs help: Errors when running knoppix-installer

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1

    Newbie needs help: Errors when running knoppix-installer

    I wanted to try knoppix on my hard drive, but for some reason the knoppix-installer is giving me some problems.

    First, right now I have the following partitions on my hard drive: 26GB NTFS for windows, and 4GB of unpartitioned space which I wanted to use to try out knoppix from the hard drive.

    I tried the following both by using the standard kernel and the newer one by typing knoppix26:

    1) from the terminal window, i typed "sudo knoppix-installer". A dialog comes up saying that I don't meet the requirements (but isn't 4GB enough for a standard installation?)
    2) I typed "IGNORE_CHECK=1 sudo knoppix-installer". I start by selecting a "beginner" installation. But when I click Next, I get some error from Xdialog (I think) and the terminal window displays the help for the xdialog command?? The the installation quits.

    After, I tried to reboot with the "knoppix 2" (text mode) option, and run "IGNORE_CHECK=1 sudo knoppix-installer" again. Still, after choosing the "beginner" installation, I would immediately get this:

    Fatal dialog error:
    Error: Expected at least 7 tokens for --radiolist, have 4.
    Use --help to list options.

    And the installation would abort.

    Am I doing something wrong? Can anyone help? Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    I'm no expert on this, but you may want to try partition before you try the installer. In the K menu in KDE, go to System=>Qtparted or type sudo qtparted in the shell. You'll want about 500MB as a linux swap partition, and 3GB for ext2 or ext3. Like I said, I'm probably talking out of my rectum.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1
    I have exactly the same problem... I always get the "don't meet requirement" dialog while I actually have an empty 6 GB space... If I continue to try to make partition, in the end I'll get error message "OPEN DISK READ-ONLY - YOU HAVE NO PERMITION TO WRITE"... and then... "FATAL ERROR CANNOT GET DISK SIZE".....

    can someone help with this problem, cause I'm new to Linux and seems that I won't be able to solve this although I've spent like the whole day... =(

Similar Threads

  1. Newbie with problem getting KNOPPIX up and running!
    By pvsurfer in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-07-2005, 12:06 AM
  2. 3.6: Installer hangs/can't find files/errors reading CD
    By muzicman82 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-05-2004, 04:57 AM
  3. knoppix-installer input/output errors
    By apoth in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-18-2004, 01:06 AM
  4. running knoppix from command line /total newbie
    By snake001 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-01-2003, 11:29 AM
  5. New Newbie - Need Help Running liloconfig
    By Drago in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-18-2003, 06:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD picture

HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD

$249.00



DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS picture

DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS

$99.99



HP ZBook Firefly 14

HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC

$166.49



HP EliteBook 850 G6 15.6

HP EliteBook 850 G6 15.6" Core i5-8265U 1.60GHz 8GB RAM AMD Lexa GPU PWR Adapter

$120.00



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8-Core 16-Thread CPU 4.3GHz Socket AM4 Tested Working picture

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8-Core 16-Thread CPU 4.3GHz Socket AM4 Tested Working

$49.00



Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11 picture

Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11

$89.99



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99