The installer should ask you if you want lilo in MBR or the root partition of your knoppix install. If you choose the root partition lilo will happily go there and stay there doing nothing.
Hi,
I'm attempting to install Knoppix 3.7 on a hda2 partition. So, I'm interested in avoiding Lilo installation. I already has a boot manager installed and I would use it to init Knoppix instead lilo. I would not want to lilo damages it. How would I do that ?. Are there any tip or trick to knoppix installer be required to avoid Lilo installation ?. To tell us that I also interested in avoiding partition management step and due it I call knoppix installer with next sentence: IGNORE_CHECK=1 knoppix-installer.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much,
Best regards.
Mark lin.
The installer should ask you if you want lilo in MBR or the root partition of your knoppix install. If you choose the root partition lilo will happily go there and stay there doing nothing.
Actually, it does not "do nothing". When installed on the Linux partition, the Linux bootstrap still does a lot; it is what actually loads the kernel and gets Linux started. A boot loader like SM or XOSL knows nothing about how to start specific systems, including Linux. But when put on the Linux partition Lilo does not need to present it's own menu or have to worry about any other OSs that might be installed, now or later. The difference is important, because some might think that if Lilo is installed on the Linux partition it will stay there doing nothing, then it doesn't need to be there at all, and it does.Originally Posted by Markus
As he stated he already has a bootmanager he wants to use to init knoppix I assumed he knows what he needs. Namely, if he already has lilo or grub he only needs to add lines for the knoppix install and the knoppix lilo wouldn't really do nothing. I know I was assuming things but as he felt no need to tell us which boot manager he has, I can only conclude it's capable of booting linux on itself. Otherwise were just guessing here. Or are you saying that even if he uses another lilo, the knoppix lilo would still be needed? Can't think of a reason for that.
If he has a boot manager like XOSL or Smart Boot Manager, it knows nothing about Linux (or any other OS). It just loads the boot manager installed in the Linux partition (usually Lilo) and jumps to it, then Lilo takes over and loads everything needed for Linux. If he actually has another Lilo installed in the MBR, then that Lilo would need to know things about this Linux install, which is why people need to keep editing config files and reinstalling Lilo into the MBR, so just installing Lilo to the Linux partition would not help in this case (as he would have to edit the MBR copy with the information that it needs). Hopefully he is using XOSL or SBM and your advice to put Lilo on the Linux partition makes sense. But it doesn't stay there doing nothing, it takes an active part in the boot process. Since this Lilo already has it's config information set up by the program that installed it and it only has to load Linux, not offer a menu of multiple choices, you may not know it's being run, but it is.Originally Posted by Markus

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99
867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99
Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$254.97