Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Can I use APT to install packages in /usr/local

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    30

    Can I use APT to install packages in /usr/local

    I would like to install most packages in /usr/local. But I don't see options to apt-get or dpkg which allow me to specify the destination directory. Is it possible?

    I get a number of packages installed and then want to move to a new version of Knoppix or something else and / gets destroyed and replaced. Then I have to do the package installation all over again.

    Building from source doesn't seem like a good workaround. If I do a build using APT can I set the install directory?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: Can I use APT to install packages in /usr/local

    Quote Originally Posted by rozen
    I would like to install most packages in /usr/local....
    Why?

    It appears from your post that your intent is to install packages so that they will remain even if you 'update' the system to a new version of Knoppix but installing to /usr/local will not accomplish that. /usr/local is still a directory under / which will be overwitten if you reinstall a new Knoppix version.

    You could accomplish what you want to some degree by making a separate /home partition then using 'klik' to install apps since klik installs apps in /home directory but then you are limited to the apps available from klik.

    Possibly a better solution would be to set up so there is virtually no need to update to a newer Knoppix version then just keep the system upgraded to whatever degree you wish using the normal Debian updating & upgrading procedures. The downside of this is that many users have experienced problems upgrading knoppix but it can be done. I have a Knoppix 3.4 'Knoppix-style' HD install which has survived several 'apt-get upgrades' although it kicks up a few bugs with each upgrade.

    I have since switched to Kanotix, in my opinion this is the safest way to get an upgradable Knoppix based Debian system.

    In theory you should be able to continuously upgrade a Debian system to remain current without ever have to do a total reinstall.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    30

    I have a separate partition for /usr/local

    I have a separate partition for /usr/local which survives a reinstall. All the stuff, that I build from source ends up in /usr/local and survives so i would like to do the same with those app's I install with APT.

    I like the idea of klik. But I have tried to get five different apps but only two of them worked: wajig and abiword. Unfortunately, GIMP and Gnucash did not and they are important to me.

    I have also switched to Kanotix in an effort get something that will be less transitory. Have you successflly tried a dist-upgrade? I have spent the last couple of days doing an apt-get -d upgrade and will give it a shot tomorrow.

Similar Threads

  1. trying to install debian from a local repository ...
    By Albretch in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-22-2006, 02:58 AM
  2. apt-get to install a local package.
    By kayl in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-07-2005, 03:23 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-14-2005, 04:54 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-19-2003, 04:28 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2003, 02:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Rare Packard Bell R500 A950-TWR with Microsoft Windows 95 Microsoft Plus picture

Vintage Rare Packard Bell R500 A950-TWR with Microsoft Windows 95 Microsoft Plus

$175.00



NEW* AMD Athlon 4850e 4GB ATI X1050 Win98 XP DOS Multiboot Retro PC w/ 50 Games picture

NEW* AMD Athlon 4850e 4GB ATI X1050 Win98 XP DOS Multiboot Retro PC w/ 50 Games

$389.00



NEW* AMD Athlon 4850e 4GB ATI X300 Win98 XP DOS Multiboot Retro PC w/ 50 Games picture

NEW* AMD Athlon 4850e 4GB ATI X300 Win98 XP DOS Multiboot Retro PC w/ 50 Games

$349.00



NEW* AMD Athlon 4850e Nvidia Quadro Win98 XP DOS Multiboot Retro PC w/ 50 Games picture

NEW* AMD Athlon 4850e Nvidia Quadro Win98 XP DOS Multiboot Retro PC w/ 50 Games

$449.00



Vintage Beige PC Tower Computer Case/Chassis with Front Drive Bays (Read Bellow) picture

Vintage Beige PC Tower Computer Case/Chassis with Front Drive Bays (Read Bellow)

$95.00



Vintage Compaq SLT/386s/20 laptop Boots to DOS, power supply, CMOS dead working picture

Vintage Compaq SLT/386s/20 laptop Boots to DOS, power supply, CMOS dead working

$345.00



Vintage Gray AC Power Cable Cord 3-Prong Plug to 3-Prong 3-Slot Connector picture

Vintage Gray AC Power Cable Cord 3-Prong Plug to 3-Prong 3-Slot Connector

$50.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh StyleWriter Software 4 Disk Set Version 1.2 3.5” Floppy picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh StyleWriter Software 4 Disk Set Version 1.2 3.5” Floppy

$24.99



Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS picture

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS

$228.19



Vintage Compaq Contura 4/25c Laptop Computer With Power Adapter & Bag picture

Vintage Compaq Contura 4/25c Laptop Computer With Power Adapter & Bag

$199.99