Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Using Knoppix CD to Boot Kanotix ISO?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274

    Using Knoppix CD to Boot Kanotix ISO?

    I asked a friend to burn a Kanotix image to a CD, as I don't have a cd burner or fast internet. He, however, burned it as a data cd instead of one from which to boot. So I copied the ISO onto my hda1 (Windows) drive from Windows. I tried using the bootfrom cheatcode to boot Kanotix from the image on hda1, and it didn't work. So do I have to install the ISO to disk and find some means of booting it? I could do that, but I'd like to look at it before I install it. So yeah. If you can, post methods for either of these.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Teach friend how to properly burn ISO files.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    Can I shove Kanotix on a partition and use Lilo (or some other bootloader) to boot it?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: Using Knoppix CD to Boot Kanotix ISO?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kowood
    I asked a friend to burn a Kanotix image to a CD, as I don't have a cd burner or fast internet. He, however, burned it as a data cd instead of one from which to boot. So I copied the ISO onto my hda1 (Windows) drive from Windows. I tried using the bootfrom cheatcode to boot Kanotix from the image on hda1, and it didn't work. So do I have to install the ISO to disk and find some means of booting it? I could do that, but I'd like to look at it before I install it. So yeah. If you can, post methods for either of these.
    You might be able to make this work but you will have to make a do-it-yourself poor mans install.

    A poormans install has the filesystem from the CD installed into a directory called 'knoppix' on the root dir of the drive. The bootfrom code will be looking for a file /dev/hda1/knoppix/knoppix. Maybe that's all you need to do.

    To boot from the HD without the CD you also need the files in the directory 'boot' from the CD copied to a separate directory (called boot or bootlinux or whatever you wish) in the HD root directory then lilo or grub installed to the MBR & configured to boot /mnt/hda1/bootlinux/vmlinuz. This is the lilo setup:

    Code:
    image=/mnt/hda1/bootlinux/vmlinuz
    
    label="Linux"
    
    append="lang=us fromhd=/dev/hda1 home=scan myconfig=scan apm=power-off"
    
    initrd=/mnt/hda1/bootlinux/isolinux/minirt24.gz
    
    read-only

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    Okay, new door has just been opened....Say I can copy the file from the CD onto a computer with a burner. Can I still burn a boot CD? And this computer uses Roxio, can you burn bootCDs with that one?

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowood
    Okay, new door has just been opened....Say I can copy the file from the CD onto a computer with a burner. Can I still burn a boot CD? And this computer uses Roxio, can you burn bootCDs with that one?
    If you friend just burned the ISO file to CD then the ISO file can certainly be read back from the CD. From there it could be burnt like any other ISO. Of course, it is important that the MD5 sum be checked. It should have been checked by your friend before the burn, but that doesn't seem likely. I would suggest that you get the md5 file from one of the mirrors and see if it was a good iso file to begin with (this would have been an important step for any boot-from-iso-on-HD experiments that you did too). This will not require a high speed connection, as the md5 file is very small. Once you confirm that you have a good iso, you have a good iso.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    erm.......How do I check the md5 in windows? how do I download it? I click the md5 thingy on the download thingy and i get d1323a2ba5a9702b3a38bc851dd01042 *KANOTIX-BUG-HUNTER-X-2004-FIX2.iso in the browser.

  8. #8
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowood
    erm.......How do I check the md5 in windows? how do I download it? I click the md5 thingy on the download thingy and i get d1323a2ba5a9702b3a38bc851dd01042 *KANOTIX-BUG-HUNTER-X-2004-FIX2.iso in the browser.
    The easiest way to download it is just to download an md5 file. But if you have a text string (as you seem to have) that will work too.

    You need a program that will generate or check an md5 sum. There are many available, Google will find quite a number for you. I like md5summer which has a website here. If you have an md5 file you can just open it with the md5 program and the program will check the files listed in the md5 file against the files in the directory that it is run from and tell you if you have good files or not. If all you have is a text string then you tell the md5 program to generate an md5 sum for the file that you are interested in (the iso in this cae) and manually (You rememner Manuel, dn't you?) check the resulting MD5 sum against the text string. If the strings match exactly then the files are the same, if they don't then the files are different (and the md5 strings will not likely even be close).

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    143
    It is possible to do a Poor Man's install for a Kanotix iso (on NTFS) anyway. I have done it. It uses a similar technique to the Knoppix PMI but actually is a little easier because you don't need to amend the kernel and image files with Kanotix.

    If Kowood could confirm the Windows is XP then maybe I can explain the steps.

    ICPUG

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    The Windows is 98, not XP.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix v kanotix
    By dvryknopper in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-21-2007, 02:56 AM
  2. Knoppix( or Kanotix) 3.8.2 or 4.0.2 install
    By jln_d in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-23-2005, 09:29 AM
  3. KNOPPIX and KANOTIX: why not merge?
    By tablet_guy in forum Ideas
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-03-2005, 06:54 PM
  4. How do Kanotix boot with initrd=noinitrd.img?
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-11-2004, 04:18 PM
  5. installed kanotix to hdb, lost boot option to boot knoppix
    By helios17 in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-27-2004, 06:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lot of 88GB (22x4GB) ADVANTECH 1RX16 DDR4 PC4-2400U AQD-D4U4GN24-HP MEMORY RAM picture

Lot of 88GB (22x4GB) ADVANTECH 1RX16 DDR4 PC4-2400U AQD-D4U4GN24-HP MEMORY RAM

$286.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Samsung M393A2K43DB3 16GB (1x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz M393A2K43DB3 picture

Samsung M393A2K43DB3 16GB (1x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz M393A2K43DB3

$89.99



Lot of 6 Micron MTA8ATF2G64HZ-3G2F1 16GB 1Rx8PC4-3200AA-SA2-13 Laptop Memory RAM picture

Lot of 6 Micron MTA8ATF2G64HZ-3G2F1 16GB 1Rx8PC4-3200AA-SA2-13 Laptop Memory RAM

$300.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V picture

Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V

$41.00



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00



G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz DDR4 - Tested picture

G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz DDR4 - Tested

$69.95