Teach friend how to properly burn ISO files.
I asked a friend to burn a Kanotix image to a CD, as I don't have a cd burner or fast internet. He, however, burned it as a data cd instead of one from which to boot. So I copied the ISO onto my hda1 (Windows) drive from Windows. I tried using the bootfrom cheatcode to boot Kanotix from the image on hda1, and it didn't work. So do I have to install the ISO to disk and find some means of booting it? I could do that, but I'd like to look at it before I install it. So yeah. If you can, post methods for either of these.![]()
Teach friend how to properly burn ISO files.
Can I shove Kanotix on a partition and use Lilo (or some other bootloader) to boot it?
You might be able to make this work but you will have to make a do-it-yourself poor mans install.Originally Posted by Kowood
A poormans install has the filesystem from the CD installed into a directory called 'knoppix' on the root dir of the drive. The bootfrom code will be looking for a file /dev/hda1/knoppix/knoppix. Maybe that's all you need to do.
To boot from the HD without the CD you also need the files in the directory 'boot' from the CD copied to a separate directory (called boot or bootlinux or whatever you wish) in the HD root directory then lilo or grub installed to the MBR & configured to boot /mnt/hda1/bootlinux/vmlinuz. This is the lilo setup:
Code:image=/mnt/hda1/bootlinux/vmlinuz label="Linux" append="lang=us fromhd=/dev/hda1 home=scan myconfig=scan apm=power-off" initrd=/mnt/hda1/bootlinux/isolinux/minirt24.gz read-only
Okay, new door has just been opened....Say I can copy the file from the CD onto a computer with a burner. Can I still burn a boot CD? And this computer uses Roxio, can you burn bootCDs with that one?
If you friend just burned the ISO file to CD then the ISO file can certainly be read back from the CD. From there it could be burnt like any other ISO. Of course, it is important that the MD5 sum be checked. It should have been checked by your friend before the burn, but that doesn't seem likely. I would suggest that you get the md5 file from one of the mirrors and see if it was a good iso file to begin with (this would have been an important step for any boot-from-iso-on-HD experiments that you did too). This will not require a high speed connection, as the md5 file is very small. Once you confirm that you have a good iso, you have a good iso.Originally Posted by Kowood
erm.......How do I check the md5 in windows? how do I download it? I click the md5 thingy on the download thingy and i get d1323a2ba5a9702b3a38bc851dd01042 *KANOTIX-BUG-HUNTER-X-2004-FIX2.iso in the browser.
The easiest way to download it is just to download an md5 file. But if you have a text string (as you seem to have) that will work too.Originally Posted by Kowood
You need a program that will generate or check an md5 sum. There are many available, Google will find quite a number for you. I like md5summer which has a website here. If you have an md5 file you can just open it with the md5 program and the program will check the files listed in the md5 file against the files in the directory that it is run from and tell you if you have good files or not. If all you have is a text string then you tell the md5 program to generate an md5 sum for the file that you are interested in (the iso in this cae) and manually (You rememner Manuel, dn't you?) check the resulting MD5 sum against the text string. If the strings match exactly then the files are the same, if they don't then the files are different (and the md5 strings will not likely even be close).
It is possible to do a Poor Man's install for a Kanotix iso (on NTFS) anyway. I have done it. It uses a similar technique to the Knoppix PMI but actually is a little easier because you don't need to amend the kernel and image files with Kanotix.
If Kowood could confirm the Windows is XP then maybe I can explain the steps.
ICPUG
The Windows is 98, not XP.

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$169.99
Apple Mac Pro 5,1 • 8‑Core 2.26GHz • 14GB RAM • 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD Dual NVIDIA
$325.00
Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00
AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
$250.00
Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00
AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor
$59.99
AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY
$39.99
AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked
$79.99
Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex
$159.99
DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5" AIO Core i5 10500T 8GB 256GB NVMe Windows 11 -NO STAND
$179.99