Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: I need the Knoppix root password to access my PCMCIA slot

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6

    I need the Knoppix root password to access my PCMCIA slot

    When I try to use my PCMCIA slot with my Linksys Wireless PC Card it asks for the root password. Does anyone have the password? If not is there a work-around for this??

    CaptainN

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    85
    Hit the "K" , go to the KNOPPIX menu, and click on root console and you will now have root access
    root by default has NO password, so either use the root console under the KNOPPIX menu, or use a virtual terminal (ctrl+alt+f2)
    (ctrl+alt+f5 to get back to kde)

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    85
    That was a pretty basic question for knoppix that has been answered about 1000 times
    good point rickenbacherus

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6
    Ok. Now how do I get it to see the card?? Sorry if I'm acting like an idiot, but this is the first time I've used any form of linux / unix in my life.

    CaptainN

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    85
    I'm not sure i'm following you, when i used my dads linksys pcmcia wireless card I had to do nothing. It automatically detected it and used dhcp to get an ip address and i was online at bootup.
    What are you trying to run that needs root access.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6
    I just simply want to get on the internet with it. I have the card in the slot when I boot into Knoppix. Then when I go to click on Mozilla and type ina url it says the url I typed in can't be found.

    CaptainN

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    You could always try
    netcardconfig
    from a terminal.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    85
    Do you have a dhcp server setup that will give you an ip address. At my dads house, he has a small home router connected to his cable modem that will use dhcp and assign the card an ip address and such. You can have the card configured correctly hardware-wise, but if you don't have an IP address and a gateway setup, you wont get online. This is more networking issues than a knoppix problem.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6
    Yes my router is set to give automatic ip addresses. Is there something that I'm doig wrong. I also tried netcardconfig several times and each time it failed.

    CaptainN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is there a root password for Knoppix
    By papwilly in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-20-2005, 02:04 PM
  2. Root Password In Knoppix Live
    By jaykay in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-07-2004, 08:01 PM
  3. How to set the root password on Knoppix 3.3
    By MrWizard in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-2003, 10:14 PM
  4. Knoppix cd root password
    By swamishriji in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-08-2003, 01:55 AM
  5. Knoppix cd root password
    By swamishriji in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-07-2003, 04:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12 picture

SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12

$1599.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95



MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 2025 RDS 50 CAL NEW Factory Sealed picture

MICROSOFT WINDOWS SERVER 2025 RDS 50 CAL NEW Factory Sealed

$136.87



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99



DELL PowerEdge T30 Tower Server PENTIUM G4400 3.30Ghz 8GB RAM 2TB HDD WIN 10 picture

DELL PowerEdge T30 Tower Server PENTIUM G4400 3.30Ghz 8GB RAM 2TB HDD WIN 10

$210.31