Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: problems with Knoppix recognizing new fresh nothing-on-it hd

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3

    problems with Knoppix recognizing new fresh nothing-on-it hd

    I made a image of my stuff on to DVD using knoppix dvd burn, I bought a brand spanking new hd (80 meg ) at a computer show, I want to use knoppix to dump all the info on the DVD on to the new HD, On com cable 1 I have ONLY the new hd connected on the end of cable, no slave, with jumper set to master ( other com cable has dvdrom reading knoppix with a dvd writer as slave....they are recognized, no problem there) Knoppix doesnt recognize, I think, the hd... the boot up sequence mentions enabling DMA for a "Hda" thinking it IS recognizint the HD ( the bios I think is recognizing the new hd, cuz it mentions sectors and stuff like that ) when I open this hda in konquerer and when I try to transfer files off DVD writer to new hd ( hda ) I get a flag saying " access denied"
    how can I for sure know knop IS recognizing the new hd, how can I get the capability to transfer files, knop should say hd size right?? IT doesn't say nothing
    please help
    Randy

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    Two things:-

    1). A brand new drive may be unformatted and with no partition table, you need to use a tool like QTparted or similar to make a partition and then format that partition.

    2). Knoppix boot from CD does not mount drives as read-write - only read only, this is to help inexperienced users from destroying stuff, or attempting to write to NTFS partitions (a define no-go)

    If it's just the latter, you can remount a drive using:-

    mount -o remount,rw /dev/hdax

    - Hope this helps a bit.

    I'm a noob, so hopefully others will reply and help (or correct me if I'm wrong!)

    Stoo.....

Similar Threads

  1. Problem with Knoppix recognizing Trendnet Wireless PCI card
    By ApocalypticChaos in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-05-2006, 01:15 AM
  2. Problems recognizing soundcard
    By oceans11 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-25-2005, 06:59 AM
  3. Knoppix not recognizing my display (flickering)
    By gmmiddle in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-11-2005, 04:49 PM
  4. Some fresh ideas
    By vlader2004 in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-06-2005, 01:04 AM
  5. Knoppix Not Recognizing VIA Onboard Lan
    By Encrypted_File in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-28-2004, 11:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS  PromBlaster picture

Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS PromBlaster

$895.00



Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1 picture

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1

$250.00



Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer picture

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer

$419.99



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



4 Rare Vintage S-100 Video Boards picture

4 Rare Vintage S-100 Video Boards

$595.00



Vintage Cherry W. Germany G80-0486H/05 Mechanical 25-Pin D-Sub Keyboard M8 picture

Vintage Cherry W. Germany G80-0486H/05 Mechanical 25-Pin D-Sub Keyboard M8

$170.99



Vintage Timbuk2 Crossbody Messenger Bag Forest Green/ Black  Y2k USA Made picture

Vintage Timbuk2 Crossbody Messenger Bag Forest Green/ Black Y2k USA Made

$85.00



Vintage Black Leather Rolling Pilot Case Briefcase Locking Dual Combination 18

Vintage Black Leather Rolling Pilot Case Briefcase Locking Dual Combination 18"

$69.95



Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25

Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00

$199.99



NEW StarTech ATXPOWER250 250W ATX PC Power Supply Vintage Pentium II III AMD K6 picture

NEW StarTech ATXPOWER250 250W ATX PC Power Supply Vintage Pentium II III AMD K6

$94.98