Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: KNOPPIX-booting problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2

    KNOPPIX-booting problem

    Hi...
    I downloaded KNOPPIX yesterday and now i wantet to use it but it do not boot when i restart my pc. I changed the first boot device to CD-ROM but it boots WinXP.

    When there are misstakes in my text: I come from Germany / I am german...

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Assuming you checked the md5 sum for your downloaded .iso it is my estimation that you have burned the file to disk instead of burning the image. You can't just select "make a bootable cd" and then point it to your image. You must specify that you want to burn an image. What software are you using? If it is NERO then start Nero, close the wizard, click file>burn image and then just browse to your .iso. That will get you a bootable image. Post back if you need further assistance.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    NERO SUX

    --God, do I ever hate Nero. I replaced my parents' crappy (20x?) cdrom with an old Sony 8x4x32 burner I had lying around. Installing Nero CRASHED THE SYSTEM where it would never get to Win98 GUI - instead, it would spontaneously reboot! Had to restore Windows dir from a September backup.

    --I told them, Forget Nero. Go buy Adaptec EZCD creator or something.

    --I haven't burned anything using Wincrap software in God knows how long... I use cdrecord and a bunch of scripts I wrote in Linux for everything.

    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Assuming you checked the md5 sum for your downloaded .iso it is my estimation that you have burned the file to disk instead of burning the image. You can't just select "make a bootable cd" and then point it to your image. You must specify that you want to burn an image. What software are you using? If it is NERO then start Nero, close the wizard, click file>burn image and then just browse to your .iso. That will get you a bootable image. Post back if you need further assistance.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: NERO SUX

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    --God, do I ever hate Nero.
    I agree, it just seems to be one of the more popular windowares around and I happen to knnow exactly how you burn an .iso in Nero. Adaptec is similar I recall but I couldn't tell you from memory how to use it. I used Adaptec a few times- it worked, personally I like the command line the best. It seems worthwhile to learn the 'nuts & bolts' so to speak. Slowly but surely I use the gui less and less.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2
    Now it is all right. Nero and .iso isn“t so good. I extract the .iso and than i burned it on cd and now it boots from cd... KNOPPIX is cool. The Games are the best *lol* Buggy ruleZ.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    27
    I don't see why anyone should bash Nero, for a while it's interface was for advanced users however now they have Nero Express (which ANY past user of Nero 5 and above) can update to and that is a super-easy interface.

    Nero didn't break when XP came out, Adaptec did, leaving customers with older versions of adaptec "easy cd creator" that came with their burners out to dry if they upgraded to XP.

    Nero is a far more superior product.

    I haven't played with k3b yet but I bet it's pretty darn good too

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by IoN_PuLse
    I haven't played with k3b yet but I bet it's pretty darn good too
    I haven't used it too much. It did burn an .iso no problem for me but freaked out when I asked it to copy an uncopyrighted data disk.

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    43

    Re: NERO SUX

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    --God, do I ever hate Nero. I replaced my parents' crappy (20x?) cdrom with an old Sony 8x4x32 burner I had lying around. Installing Nero CRASHED THE SYSTEM where it would never get to Win98 GUI - instead, it would spontaneously reboot! Had to restore Windows dir from a September backup.

    --I told them, Forget Nero. Go buy Adaptec EZCD creator or something.

    --I haven't burned anything using Wincrap software in God knows how long... I use cdrecord and a bunch of scripts I wrote in Linux for everything.
    [/quote]

    hahaha, u msut have really shafted up something and been using a very old version of nero.

    and LOL you recomended easyCD ? LOL, that's been known to total even NT/2k/XP systems COMPLETELY

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: NERO SUX (Offtopic, but...)

    --FYI, it was Nero 5 that came with my CD duplicator. Note that I recommended Adaptec for my *parents* -- I use Linux pretty much 100% for burning my own CD's.

    --And I haven't heard anything directly about Adaptec trashing systems. (shrug) But again, I haven't had to use Adaptec for years myself, either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yakumo
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
    --God, do I ever hate Nero. I replaced my parents' crappy (20x?) cdrom with an old Sony 8x4x32 burner I had lying around. Installing Nero CRASHED THE SYSTEM where it would never get to Win98 GUI - instead, it would spontaneously reboot! Had to restore Windows dir from a September backup.

    --I told them, Forget Nero. Go buy Adaptec EZCD creator or something.

    --I haven't burned anything using Wincrap software in God knows how long... I use cdrecord and a bunch of scripts I wrote in Linux for everything.
    hahaha, u msut have really shafted up something and been using a very old version of nero.

    and LOL you recomended easyCD ? LOL, that's been known to total even NT/2k/XP systems COMPLETELY[/quote]

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1

    Boot

    I 've got he same problem. I downloaded the knoppix ISO V3.2-2003-04-10.
    Burned the ISO with Nero. (file>burn image etc)
    BIOS settings are good. First boot from CD.

    But when I reboot, no Knoppix but Win XP start-up.
    Do somebody know what is wrong and help me?

    (In Windows, I can't read the burned CD. But, that's normal I think?)

    Thanks,

    Mij

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Booting Knoppix from CD problem
    By geosan in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-09-2004, 11:52 PM
  2. Problem when booting Knoppix from CD
    By Waluigi in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-02-2004, 09:24 AM
  3. problem booting knoppix 3.6
    By jobs in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-05-2004, 01:52 PM
  4. knoppix 3.4 booting problem
    By Hauck in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-23-2004, 05:59 PM
  5. Problem Booting KNOPPIX
    By soar in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-30-2004, 12:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$71.49



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00



MSI B460M PRO-VDH WIFI LGA1200 Micro ATX Motherboard picture

MSI B460M PRO-VDH WIFI LGA1200 Micro ATX Motherboard

$94.99