Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: How to configure my wireless network?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2

    How to configure my wireless network?

    Dear all

    I have a problem when i try to configure my wireless network for my notebook. I boot with Knoppix 3.7 and it sees my Atheros 5001x mini-pci card. I tried to change /etc/network/interfaces so that i can use ifup and ifdown to connect to my router. but i couldn't save it after the change.

    What should I do? or if you have other better way to connect to network, please give me your detail suggestion as well. I am new to Linux.

    Thank you very much for your help.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    65
    I have a problem when i try to configure my wireless network for my notebook. I boot with Knoppix 3.7 and it sees my Atheros 5001x mini-pci card. I tried to change /etc/network/interfaces so that i can use ifup and ifdown to connect to my router. but i couldn't save it after the change.
    open a root terminal
    cp /etc/network/interfaces . #notice the period,copies to your pwd
    vim interfaces #edit the file and save it
    rm -f /etc/network/interfaces
    cp interfaces /etc/network
    /etc/init.d/network restart
    If you save this file to a thumb drive,you can reuse it.

    The easy way
    open a root terminal
    iwconfig ath0 essid "yourssid" channel 6 mode managed key XX:XX:XX:XX:XX #if not using wep,delete key and change mode to open
    pump -i ath0
    pump -i ath0 -s #should give you some info

    If it doesn't work,try "ifconfig ath0 up" before the iwconfig command.This shouldn't be neccessary,though.
    Pump is a dhcp client,btw.

    man interfaces
    man iwconfig
    man ifconfig
    man pump

    If you read the above manual pages,you shouldn't have any problems.
    If something doesn't work,be sure to paste any error messages when posting.

    Have Fun

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2
    thank you very much.

Similar Threads

  1. I CANT CONFIGURE WIRELESS
    By RHCA in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-30-2006, 06:09 PM
  2. How to configure network??
    By thefastone in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-19-2006, 09:40 PM
  3. configure network card
    By shantanuo in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-20-2005, 05:52 AM
  4. needed to configure network printer.....
    By ira in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-26-2004, 04:43 AM
  5. Do I have to configure my network card everytime?
    By ptesone in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-16-2004, 08:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Desktop RAM Lot of 9 - SDR SDRAM & DDR1  (Could Separate)*  -  (0194) picture

Vintage Desktop RAM Lot of 9 - SDR SDRAM & DDR1 (Could Separate)* - (0194)

$75.00



Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used picture

Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used

$39.99



Vintage Panasonic Sr. Partner RL-H7000 Computer w/Service Manual & DOS Disks Cov picture

Vintage Panasonic Sr. Partner RL-H7000 Computer w/Service Manual & DOS Disks Cov

$275.00



VINTAGE FACTORY SEALED MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER 4.0 CD-ROM - NEW RARE BLUE CD picture

VINTAGE FACTORY SEALED MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER 4.0 CD-ROM - NEW RARE BLUE CD

$34.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage Apple Newton Connection Kit for Macintosh, Other Type picture

Vintage Apple Newton Connection Kit for Macintosh, Other Type

$125.00



Vintage IBM model M wired keyboard PN/42H1292 Missing F5 picture

Vintage IBM model M wired keyboard PN/42H1292 Missing F5

$159.99



Vintage Magitronic A-IDE104VL Winbond VL-Bus Super I/O Card PTI-255W V1.2 picture

Vintage Magitronic A-IDE104VL Winbond VL-Bus Super I/O Card PTI-255W V1.2

$89.95



Toshiba T1000 Vintage Laptop PC, 1 power supplies, manuals, and original bag picture

Toshiba T1000 Vintage Laptop PC, 1 power supplies, manuals, and original bag

$119.99



Vintage AppleCD 300i Plus CD-ROM Optical Drive SCSI 1993 Used picture

Vintage AppleCD 300i Plus CD-ROM Optical Drive SCSI 1993 Used

$47.99