-
HELP!! I think Knoppix murdered my computer!!
I have a Knoppix 3.7 CD-ROM, which runs ok, although slowly, on my Win 98 notebook. I just bought a new notebook with XP Home, and thought I'd see how Knoppix works on it. It started going through all the boot-up messages, but eventually it died. I have a wide-screen, and noticed the problem occurred when it was listing out some screen resolutions. None of them matched my 1200x800. Anyway, the computer is totally stuck. The CD stopped spinning, and it's still in the machine. I can't get it out or shut off the computer. The screen echoes back my keystrokes, but that's about it. It doesn't respond to anything else.
Is there any kind of magic keystroke or something I can use to bring my machine back to life. I'm wondering if I'm going to have to pry the CD out with a screwdriver!!
Thanks,
Steve
-
Senior Member
registered user
no. just remove powerplug and battery.
then you carefully use (push straight in) a straightened paperclip in the little round hole (1mm 1/32") .
this will release the catch and let you remove the cd.
try booting with vga=normal (No-framebuffer mode, but X).
this should normally give you X,it might look somewhat (extremly) weird.
read more here on "cheatcodes"
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes
-
Removing the powerplug and battery were exactly what I was too chicken to do, but I did it. When I plugged the the cord back into the computer and turned it on, I quickly hit the CD eject button, and the CD tray opened up. What a relief! Once I get my nerve back, I'll try the suggestion about the vga setting. Thanks.
Similar Threads
-
By shutdown in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-20-2005, 11:34 AM
-
By namnemet in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 12-30-2004, 10:05 AM
-
By kb in forum General Support
Replies: 12
Last Post: 06-08-2004, 04:26 AM
-
By markleong in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 02-08-2004, 06:39 PM
-
By lnxusr in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 07-12-2003, 11:57 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

KARDV Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, 500W/40Kpa Vacuum Cleaners for Home, 60Mins St...
$64.99

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$167.63

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe
$53.99

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits
$13.89

Car Vacuum Portable Cordless, 50000Pa High Power Brushless Motor, Rechargeable H
$104.98

Electric Air Duster & Small Vacuum, 130000RPM, 2in1 Cleaner
$53.22

V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB
$82.00

Compressed Air Duster,150000Rpm Electric Air Duster, Vacuum Cleaner & Bag Vacuum
$72.62