Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: What to do when a program just won't quit.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4

    What to do when a program just won't quit.

    (I've running Knoppix 3.7 (I believe) from my hard driver)
    I've been having some troubles recently with Firefox just freezing on me while loading various sites. While this is troublesome, KDE can kill the app but things aren't all fine on this little Linux machine of mine. The following process continues to run:

    apessos 2264 2174 15 07:09 ? 00:01:58 /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox-bin -a firefox
    Now, maybe this process should always be there and I'm just worrying about nothing. But whether it's a process for good or evil, I should still be able to kill it.

    I change to root, and issue one of the deadly commands known to processes, kill -9 2264. Yet, tough guy over here just won't listen. I try -SIGKILL, -KILL and everything under the sun, but 2264 turns a deaf ear to me.

    I've been rebooting to solve this problem, however, I am curious if there's another method I could utilize to end 2264 region on my machine?

    apessos

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    'ctrl-alt-esc' will kill apps that are not responding. Then cursor changes to a skull & crossbones , click on the problem window to shut it down.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4

    Ctrl-Alt-Delete

    When I press Ctrl-Alt-Delete in KDE I just get taken to a window with a couple buttons, "End Current Session", "Turn Off Computer", "Restart Computer" and "Cancel". I don't see that skull and crossbones anywhere.

    Firefox continuously crashes now. I've removed most of the extensions I had loaded, and once I reboot the machine I'll uninstall the rest of them. KDE recognizes that Firefox is not responding and offers to kill it for me. All this does is create a zombie process which becomes annoying because it locks up my default profile and won't let me start Firefox until I create a new profile. (And I lose all my wonderful bookmarks and all that jazz.) Each time Firefox crashes, another profile becomes locked up.

    Looking into how to stop this from happening. I'm getting tired of rebooting my machine. ^^

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    200
    Gotta read a bit more closely. He said "Ctrl+Alt+ Esc not Del

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    london town
    Posts
    220
    i just use xkill. just clicked my desktop with the skull now its disapeared....

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    Don't know if you know this trick, but it's handy after trying everything under the sun, open a terminal window and type:
    Code:
    kill `pidof mozilla-firefox`
    It's amazingly useful when trying to kill multithreaded apps. Try it with any app by name as long as you put pidof in front of it. I almost never have to look up the process id just to find the app that I want to kill.


    HTH,

    Durand

Similar Threads

  1. ?Meaning of error "protocol unexpectedly quit" ?
    By stevesr0 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-14-2007, 04:08 AM
  2. New to Linux Program
    By hpwong28 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2006, 04:42 PM
  3. loud noise that doesnt quit
    By electronico in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-17-2005, 08:25 PM
  4. Which MD5 Program?
    By Mustang64 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-26-2004, 09:36 PM
  5. What Program to Use?
    By Bothersome in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-30-2004, 05:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99



Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC picture

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC

$10499.99



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$79.86



Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact  Switch picture

Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact Switch

$179.99



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper EX2300-24P 24-port Gigabit RJ-45 PoE 4-port 10Gb SFP+ Network Switch picture

Juniper EX2300-24P 24-port Gigabit RJ-45 PoE 4-port 10Gb SFP+ Network Switch

$89.99