-
Knoppix or Mepis
I am new to linux and had read many reviews/mag/news/articles/website/forum to get as much info as I can.
Many claims that Mepis is better than Knoppix etc... but I seems to prefer Knoppix after a few days of trying.
One thing that I feel Mepis is "better" is that it has an install option that allows simple installation. Any idea why Knoppix does not have this feature?
From this forum, seems like many wanted to install but having problems and this feature should be able to help a lot of people.
Just a suggestion
-
Senior Member
registered user
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16880
How much simpler could it be?
Having said that mepis is designed for installation.
But if you can create a partition or learn how, and your
hardware is recognized you should be able to install
knoppix in about 15 minutes.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
eon
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16880
How much simpler could it be?
Having said that mepis is designed for installation.
But if you can create a partition or learn how, and your
hardware is recognized you should be able to install
knoppix in about 15 minutes.
Well said! The partitioning part is about the hardest thing in the knoppix install. But learning the ins and outs of HDD partitioning is essential to linux anyway, and if you can't partition a HDD, you probably have no business installing Linux on your HDD in the first place.
-
I've played with Knoppix, Kanotix, and Mepis a lot. Knoppix is tailored as a live CD. I really think that if you want to install to disk then you are better off using Mepis or Kanotix because they are tailored for that. In particular, once you install to disk then you will frequently want to apt-get update etc. Mepis and Kanotix are much more amenable to updating from the Debian repositories and will not break as easily as Knoppix.
-
I agree with markb. The only reason is if Knoppix is tailored as a live CD, then do not provide this feature, which is what it is doing now.
BUT, I am looking at it as an enhancement ( a choice ) that would get new comers another option.
Most of us had done partitioning so many times that we do not give it a second thought.
That doesn't mean that all users is so lucky. Imagine you have one and only one computer for your entire family and you are new. Suspect many new users are reluctant to take that bet
Suspect that most people will eventually wants Linux in their PC and most will be "force" to use another distro. Anyway, as I have said earlier, it's just a suggestion.
Linux is about choices and if Knoppix is about LiveCD, then keep it that way.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Knoppix is about choices too! That's why you have the option to run from HDD or install from CD. Personally, I can't get my hardware to work under any other distro, because Knoppix's hardware detection script is so superior. Trust me. I have tried installing Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora Core 3, and a few others, and have never been met with success. Knoppix is the only distro that will install to the HDD on my machine, and I am glad that it does, otherwise I would never be able to customize it with cool add-ons like superkaramba and KDE themes.
/me is addicted to eye candy :P
-
Senior Member
registered user
Yea the hard drive install option can cause problems
but I can't agree with not having it. Open source has
been about choice and choice can get you in trouble sometimes.
-
Yes, I totally agree with you.
Knoppix hardware detection is superior than most other , that is why an easy hardware install can help many others (especially newbies) and at the same time take Knoppix to new heights.
Similar Threads
-
By roadrash in forum Klik
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-12-2005, 11:49 PM
-
By jMon54 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-25-2005, 04:53 AM
-
By jMon54 in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-09-2005, 08:31 PM
-
By oscar in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-06-2003, 02:00 AM
-
By qa1433 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 12
Last Post: 07-23-2003, 07:17 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Micron 32GB (16GB x 2) PC4-25600 DDR4-3200MHz ECC RDIMM Memory (sku 0054)
$199.00

2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder
$3.99

2 Pack USB C SD TF Card Reader Adapter Zinc Alloy USB-C to USB for iPhone 15-17
$3.35

Samsung 96GB LPCAMM2 PC5 9600 FE1 E1 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K6LC3CL1-CCV DDR5 Memory
$2150.00

SK Hynix DDR4 ECC 3200 memory in batches of 8. 128gb Used&Tested
$700.00

SERVER ECC MEMORY OWC3R2D42R464GB 128GB (2x64GB) 2Rx4 DDR4 3200 RAM
$860.00

NMA1XXD128GPS Intel Optane 1X128GB DDR4 PC4-21300 DCPMM Persistent Server Memory
$75.00

6 in 1 USB 3.0 Type C Card Reader SD Micro SD TF OTG Memory Adapter Laptop PC US
$3.95

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98