Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: nxclient annoyances!!!

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256

    nxclient annoyances!!!

    Anyone out there using nxclient/nxserver? I have it on my LAN for my students and its woking nicely.

    However, I find 2 things a bit annoying:

    (1) Whenever one of my users logs-in to the nxserver, nx spawns a TON of processes. If my user then does not terminate the nxclient properly, those processes are orphaned and left to run all day unless I reboot the machine (or go thru all the processes and kill each one, one at a time, in a root shell...)! Is there a way to avoid this? Barring that is there an easier way to kill lots of proceses without rebooting? What is the proper way to terminate an nxclient anyway?

    (2) On the client side, whenever a new user starts up an nxclient, not only is the last user's userid listed, but the password is there (though masked) too so anyone can log-in to the previous user's account. You see, my students log-in to a knoppix-installed PC with a generic userid/passwd. Then they either ssh to the server where they log-in to their own accounts or nx over. They've used ssh forever and it works great. I thought that having a complete desktop - not just a shell to run konqueror et al - would be better, so we started to use nx. Now security is an issue in this kind of set-up! I haven't found a setting to tell nxclient not to store this information. Is there such an option?

    Please help!

    TIA,
    AJG
    http://calcpage.tripod.com

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    228
    Hello,

    as to the first question: Instead of just terminating the NX client, maybe it helps to click on <K-menu><Logout> to end the remote session in a regular manner.

    Second question: Saving of the password can be disabled by unchecking "Remember my password" (NX client: <Configure><General><Server>).

    Good luck!

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Thanx, ockham23, I don't know how I could have missed the "remember password" check box! I really could not find it for my life. I looked and looked too in <nxclient><configure> too....

    OK, I can't nx from home for some reason, so I'll have to try your second suggestion when I get back to work tomorrow. Could it be that simple?

    Thanx,
    AJG

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    228
    It's the simple things that work.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Yes, KISS is my motto! Anyway, I can nx to my sever at work from anywhere on campus and from home. For some reason I can't nx from any school computer to my home office. I can ssh back and forth, however....

    Regards,
    AJG

Similar Threads

  1. HOWTO install NXServer - NXClient Knoppix 5.1
    By JormaH in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-25-2007, 07:04 PM
  2. nxclient problem with knoppix 5
    By manzikki in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-17-2006, 09:28 AM
  3. NXclient KDE session starts in German ...
    By jlcurty in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-02-2005, 01:13 AM
  4. NXServer and Windows nxClient Out of sync with RSA Keys
    By jgroenke in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-20-2004, 06:03 PM
  5. KMix on Boot up and other annoyances
    By poweribo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 03:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(10) BOXED Games for Commodore Amiga 500 600 1000 1200 2000 3000(T) 4000(T) picture

(10) BOXED Games for Commodore Amiga 500 600 1000 1200 2000 3000(T) 4000(T)

$329.98



Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ picture

Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ

$329.00



RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500 picture

RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500

$50.00



Amiga Model 1080 RGB color CRT monitor - Parts Or Repair - Doesn’t Power On picture

Amiga Model 1080 RGB color CRT monitor - Parts Or Repair - Doesn’t Power On

$100.00



Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000 picture

Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000

$249.00



BlueSCSI v2 Internal 50-pin 3.5

BlueSCSI v2 Internal 50-pin 3.5" SCSI Drive ,Wi-Fi,For Macintosh, Amiga, PC

$52.99



Commodore Amiga 4000 Motherboard Rev B - untested picture

Commodore Amiga 4000 Motherboard Rev B - untested

$225.00



Amiga Video to SCART RGB cable with detachable audio - USA Seller picture

Amiga Video to SCART RGB cable with detachable audio - USA Seller

$28.99



Best FlickerFixer RGB2HDMI Amiga HDMI Games, non-RTG A2000CPLDSlot v2.2 picture

Best FlickerFixer RGB2HDMI Amiga HDMI Games, non-RTG A2000CPLDSlot v2.2

$75.00



Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99