Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: How to detect Linksys USB wireless network adapter

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14

    How to detect Linksys USB wireless network adapter

    Hi all,

    I'm trying to access the internet using my Linksys Wireless-B WUSB11 Network Adapter v2.8. When I run "iwconfig", I get :-

    lo no wireless extension
    eth0 no wireless extension

    I don't see eth1 or wlan0. Does this mean the adapter is not detected at all? If so, how do I get it detected?

    Following Grant Vallance's sticky, I copied the .inf and .sys files from the Linksys CD to a location on the hard disk. I then ran ndiswrapper and selected the copied.inf file. I will get a dialog box saying:"The ndiswrapper module has been loaded but there is no new device. Perhaps Ndiswrapper is not working with your driver file". I'd really appreciate any help anyone can give me or any ideas about what I can run. Thank you.

    Ming Hai

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    62

    Re: How to detect Linksys USB wireless network adapter

    Quote Originally Posted by minghai
    Hi all,

    I'm trying to access the internet using my Linksys Wireless-B WUSB11 Network Adapter v2.8. When I run "iwconfig", I get :-

    lo no wireless extension
    eth0 no wireless extension

    I don't see eth1 or wlan0. Does this mean the adapter is not detected at all? If so, how do I get it detected?

    Following Grant Vallance's sticky, I copied the .inf and .sys files from the Linksys CD to a location on the hard disk. I then ran ndiswrapper and selected the copied.inf file. I will get a dialog box saying:"The ndiswrapper module has been loaded but there is no new device. Perhaps Ndiswrapper is not working with your driver file". I'd really appreciate any help anyone can give me or any ideas about what I can run. Thank you.

    Ming Hai
    Hello: I'll try and help, although I really do not know the ins-and-outs of USB cards as I presume yours is ... I have a nagging recollection that I have helped out someone with your card before ... so here is hoping. I'll do some digging latter.

    The first question that would be useful to know is could you confirm the chipset of your card. Looking at http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz suggests that its an Atmel chipset.

    IIRC the command as root: [b]lspci -v[b] or perhaps lsusb could tell us.

    Could you also confirm that all commands were performed as root?

    And the name of your directory you put the *.inf file in. If there are spaces in the file name, it probably will not work.

    These are two things to get started with ...

    Hope to help.

    Regards,

    Grant D. Vallance


    The good news is that their appears to be native Linux drivers for your card

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14

    output of commands

    Hi Grant,

    Thanks so much for helping me with this. Below is the output of lsusb and lspci. To answer your questions, I ran iwconfig as root but I ran ndiswrapper from the menu so I guess its as a regular user. Should I have run from a command prompt as root "ndiswrapper -i /mnt/hda1/Linksys/Driver/xxxx.inf"?

    It doesn't say anything on the unit itself but from the fact that its v2.8, I believe it is a Atmel chipset.

    And there are no spaces in the names of the directories where the .inf files are located.

    It'd be really nice if I could get this to work then I'll jump from Mepis to Knoppix (or Kanotix) and get the Knoppix Hacks book and start playing around more. Thanks again!

    Ming Hai


    root@ttyp1[knoppix]# lsusb
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 04f9:0169 Brother Industries, Ltd
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0781:7112 SanDisk Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1915:2233
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05ab:0060 In-System Design USB 2.0 ATA Bridge



    root@ttyp1[knoppix]# lspci -bv
    0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 12bc
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
    Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
    Capabilities: [e4] #09 [0106]

    0000:00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corp. 82865G Integrated GraphicsDevice (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 12bc
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
    Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
    Memory at fc400000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
    I/O ports at 14e0
    Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 1

    0000:00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI #1 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company d530 CMT (DG746A)
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
    I/O ports at 1440

    0000:00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI #2 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company d530 CMT (DG746A)
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 5
    I/O ports at 1460

    0000:00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI #3 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company d530 CMT (DG746A)
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 10
    I/O ports at 1480

    0000:00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company d530 CMT (DG746A)
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 10
    Memory at fc480000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
    Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
    Capabilities: [58] #0a [20a0]

    0000:00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
    Bus: primary=00, secondary=05, subordinate=05, sec-latency=64
    Memory behind bridge: fc500000-fc7fffff

    0000:00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Bridge (rev 02)
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0

    0000:00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) Ultra ATA 100 Storage Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company d530 CMT (DG746A)
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 10
    I/O ports at 14e8
    I/O ports at 1808
    I/O ports at 14f0
    I/O ports at 180c
    I/O ports at 14c0
    Memory at 80000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

    0000:00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801EB (ICH5) Serial ATA 150 Storage Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 8f [Master SecP SecO PriP PriO])
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company d530 CMT (DG746A)
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 10
    I/O ports at 14f8
    I/O ports at 1810
    I/O ports at 1800
    I/O ports at 1814
    I/O ports at 14d0

    0000:00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Analog Devices codec [SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio]
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 5
    I/O ports at 1000
    I/O ports at 1400
    Memory at fc480400 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
    Memory at fc480600 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
    Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2

    0000:05:02.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5782 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company HP d530 CMT (DG746A)
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 5
    Memory at 00000000fc500000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable)
    Capabilities: [48] Power Management version 2
    Capabilities: [50] Vital Product Data
    Capabilities: [58] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+ Queue=0/3 Enable-

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    62

    Re: output of commands

    Quote Originally Posted by minghai
    Hi Grant,

    Thanks so much for helping me with this. Below is the output of lsusb and lspci. To answer your questions, I ran iwconfig as root but I ran ndiswrapper from the menu so I guess its as a regular user. Should I have run from a command prompt as root "ndiswrapper -i /mnt/hda1/Linksys/Driver/xxxx.inf"?

    It doesn't say anything on the unit itself but from the fact that its v2.8, I believe it is a Atmel chipset.

    And there are no spaces in the names of the directories where the .inf files are located.

    It'd be really nice if I could get this to work then I'll jump from Mepis to Knoppix (or Kanotix) and get the Knoppix Hacks book and start playing around more. Thanks again!

    Ming Hai
    Ah, what version of Mepis are you using; and what method? If you are using ndiswrapper in Mepis, the same proceedure should work in Knoppix. I used what I learnt from Knoppix to get Mepis going And now I basically use Mepis because the HD install was/is easy.

    I do not know whether you need to run ndiswrapper as root or not; but I would. GNU/Linux logic suggests that this type of thing would be for admins ... Anyway it cannot hurt to give it a try and see what happens.

    Let me know what happens, and we'll take it from there. I am confident that we can get it working. Eventually ...

    Cheers,

    Grant D. Vallance

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14

    linksys

    Hi Grant,

    I was using Mepis 2004.6 but I never got Mepis to detect the adapter either I will try running ndiswrapper as root. Is it just "ndiswrapper -i NETUSB.inf"? What should I run after that? Thanks!

    Ming Hai

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    62

    Re: linksys

    Quote Originally Posted by minghai
    Hi Grant,

    I was using Mepis 2004.6 but I never got Mepis to detect the adapter either I will try running ndiswrapper as root. Is it just "ndiswrapper -i NETUSB.inf"? What should I run after that? Thanks!

    Ming Hai
    Er... no!

    You need to tell ndiswrapper where the .inf file is. Assuming you are only running ONE hard drive; and M$ is the hard disk on the primary IDE channel, then the command you need to enter as root is this:

    ndiswrapper -i /mnt/hda1/<location-of-folder-with-inf-file-going-from-/->/<your-driver>.inf

    So if you have installed the .inf files & all associated files into C:\Linksys (in M$ speak) then the command you type is:

    ndiswrapper -i /mnt/hda1/Linksys/netusb.inf

    The alternative is to use the ndiswrapper configuration script in the Knoppix. You will need to navigate to where you put the driver. If you use M$ to put the driver in say C:\Linksys then remember the equivalent location in GNU/Linux (roughly) is /mnt/hda1/Linksys. If you have trouble let me know and I can walk you through it slowly.

    HTH

    Grant D. Vallance

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14

    Linksys WUSB11 Wireless-B Network Adapter v2.8 #4 not workin

    Hi Grant,

    I ran ndsiwrapper as root. It seems to install fine. What should I do next?

    root@ttyp1[knoppix]# ndiswrapper -i /mnt/hda1/Linksys/Drivers_from_CD/NETUSB.inf
    Installing netusb
    root@ttyp1[knoppix]# ndiswrapper -l
    Installed ndis drivers:
    netusb

    Thanks so much, sorry it takes me so long to try your suggestions, I don't always have access to the computer.

    Ming Hai

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    62

    Re: Linksys WUSB11 Wireless-B Network Adapter v2.8 #4 not wo

    Quote Originally Posted by minghai
    Hi Grant,

    I ran ndsiwrapper as root. It seems to install fine. What should I do next?

    root@ttyp1[knoppix]# ndiswrapper -i /mnt/hda1/Linksys/Drivers_from_CD/NETUSB.inf
    Installing netusb
    root@ttyp1[knoppix]# ndiswrapper -l
    Installed ndis drivers:
    netusb

    Thanks so much, sorry it takes me so long to try your suggestions, I don't always have access to the computer.

    Ming Hai
    The next step is to type in the command modprobe ndiswrapper, but what I would suggest is that you look at the *new* revised sticky post. It gives the instructions a little differently, and hopefully more clearly. But if you get stuck let me know and I'll help.

    Regards,

    Grant D. Vallance

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14

    Linksys WUSB11 Wireless-B Network Adapter v2.8 #4 not workin

    Hi Grant,

    I did "ndsiwrapper -i <inf_location>" and "modprobe ndiswrapper" without incident. How ever when I do iwconfig, all I see is :-

    root@ttyp1[knoppix]# iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

    eth0 no wireless extensions.

    so I don't have wlan0 or ath0. Therefore I can't run your steps 3 or 4. How do I get a wlan0 entry? Btw, there's a type in your sticky, channel is misspelled as channell. If I run step 3 anyway, I get :-

    root@ttyp1[knoppix]# iwconfig wlan0 essid serene_net
    Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; No such device.

    Thank you.

    Ming Hai

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    62

    Re: Linksys WUSB11 Wireless-B Network Adapter v2.8 #4 not wo

    Quote Originally Posted by minghai
    Hi Grant,

    I did "ndsiwrapper -i <inf_location>" and "modprobe ndiswrapper" without incident. How ever when I do iwconfig, all I see is :-

    root@ttyp1[knoppix]# iwconfig
    lo no wireless extensions.

    eth0 no wireless extensions.

    so I don't have wlan0 or ath0. Therefore I can't run your steps 3 or 4. How do I get a wlan0 entry? Btw, there's a type in your sticky, channel is misspelled as channell. If I run step 3 anyway, I get :-

    root@ttyp1[knoppix]# iwconfig wlan0 essid serene_net
    Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; No such device.

    Thank you.

    Ming Hai
    Hmmmm...

    You [i[should[/i] get a wlan0 or ath0 entry after the modprobe step. And I am stumped why you would not.

    The only thing I can suggest is that you run the two configuration scripts: (1) the ndiswrapper config script; (2) the Network card configuration script. Maybe that will sort you out. However, if it does not, I am currently at the end of my current knowledge

    Oh, and thank-you for pointing out my typo; and speaking of them -- I trust the command you actually typed in above was ndiswrapper -i <inf_location> rather than ndsiwrapper -i <inf_location>.

    Maybe there is someone who knows more than me watching this ...

    Cheers,

    Grant D. Vallance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. linksys wireless G usb adapter ...knoppix
    By w--w in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-14-2006, 10:43 AM
  2. External USB Linksys Wireless-B Network adapter question
    By cdgeorge in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2005, 12:32 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-11-2005, 04:18 AM
  4. Linksys WUSB11 v2.5 Wireless Network Adapter (Prism)
    By Tankerkevo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-15-2004, 06:37 PM
  5. Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter
    By jeff_20_ in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2003, 03:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Seagate 3.5

Seagate 3.5" Desktop HDD 3TB SATA III 6Gbps HDD 1ER166-510

$39.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Seagate ST1000VM002 1TB 5900RPM 3.5

Seagate ST1000VM002 1TB 5900RPM 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s HDD | PC DVR CCTV | | 1Y

$55.95