Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: My KDE is AWOL!

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    65

    My KDE is AWOL!

    I have been working with Knoppix 3.6 (harddrive install) for a while, worked great, thanks to a lot of help I got in this forum. Yesterday, I was using ndiswrapper to try to get Knoppix to see my new Belkin wireless card. At some point, everything just locked up. It was late so I just hit the power button and went to bed. Today I find when I boot up all I get is a login prompt. I logged in and typed "kdeinit" but all I got was "$DISPLAY". (Even when logged in as root.) I am lost without my KDE. Can someone please show me the way back...?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    What happens when you issue "startx" ?

    Maybe your XF86 configuration got messed up.

    The output from "startx" could be a troubleshooting starting place.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    65
    One of the messages I get is "Cannot connect to xserver". Can anyone interpret this for me?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by jMon54
    One of the messages I get is "Cannot connect to xserver". Can anyone interpret this for me?
    It's just what it says. The xserver is what creates a video image for your monitor.
    Either the xserver isn't running or it is out of range for your system.

    Can you copy and paste the entire output of startx?

    Or you could reconfigure X with "dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-xfree86"

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    65
    What happens when you issue "startx" ?

    Maybe your XF86 configuration got messed up.

    The output from "startx" could be a troubleshooting starting place.
    startx told me I should delete a file called /tmp/X0-lock if I didn't need it

    So I did... and now my KDE is back! THANKS! [/b]

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    Congratulations! Glad it worked

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold picture

32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold

$121.00



128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V picture

Crucial DDR3L 16GB 2 x 8GB 1600 MHz PC3L-12800 Laptop RAM Sodimm Memory 1.35V

$41.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Used Computer RAM - This Is For Multiple Sticks Of RAM picture

Used Computer RAM - This Is For Multiple Sticks Of RAM

$120.00



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00