-
Thx very much Harry for the quick reply.
I took your advice, created the SBM install to floppy, and booted. Unfortunately, for a reason I cannot diagnose, SBM returns a disk error (00x0) when pointed at the CD-ROM, although it sees it. I was able to use this method with another system.
I then tried copying the Knoppix iso files to a laptop FAT partition, and attempted to use loadlin under DOS. But there is no initrd image in the iso (at least that I could find), so that didn't work.
However, in making one last try with the Knoppix docm, this time the cheatcodes, I found:
"If your BIOS does not support el torito booting from CD, you can create two bootable floppy disks by issuing (from Knoppix running on a different machine) the command "mkbootfloppy", which will create a bootable Kernel-disk plus a disk containing the initial ramdisk, which will be prompted for at boottime."
The mkbootfloppy program choked on several floppies, but eventually the copying worked. I was subequently able to successfully boot from floppy to load the CD on the laptop. Mission accomplished.
I am a bit surprised at the obtuseness of the documentation. Making the boot floppies was straightforward, once I found the correct instructions.
Again, thx for your help.
PS. One of my objectives with this was to test what video settings Knoppix would detect, because with my VectorLinux install (Slackware based) I have not been able to get 1024x768@16bpp no matter how I tinkered with the XF86Config file. At one point I came close to frying the display. But Knoppix did the detection like a champ and enabled me to run xvidtune so I could get the precise settings. So all in all, a good project!
I haven't messed with stuff like this since my old Fortran and Assembler days (dating myself, right?).
Similar Threads
-
By marcelbraz30 in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 01-13-2005, 10:31 PM
-
By XPconvert in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-13-2004, 08:26 PM
-
By nommi in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-12-2004, 11:38 AM
-
By Callick in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-25-2003, 09:00 AM
-
By dboffin in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 04-03-2003, 10:01 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00

Intel Core i7-11700T 1.4GHz Processor 8-Core Socket LGA1200 SRKNT
$129.95

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99

Dell OptiPlex 3070 SFF Desktop Intel Core i3 9th gen 8gb RAM 128gb NVMe win11pro
$79.99

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW
$399.00

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good
$464.99

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused
$395.95

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00

DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5" AIO Core i5 10500T 8GB 256GB NVMe Windows 11 -NO STAND
$199.99