No problem about the time. I got alot of help when I started with linux 5-6 years ago.

You might want to check out this thread: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...908&highlight=
and see if markus' cheat code can work for you

Hardware compatibility is a problem because M$ has tremendous influence with hardware
developers. Think about the market share. How can things change if people won't risk
a little discomfort? (this does get to be about more than software as most human
activities do)

There are distros that will recognize your hardware. Knoppix is great at what it does
but there are other ways to try linux. Do a search for gnoppix or maybe the suse live cd.
Also mandrake, mepis, or if you want to really check all the distros go to www.distrowatch.com

Good luck in your explorations. And I realize that not all of the 1000+ downloads become
useable systems. It is however making a statement about the general satisfaction level with M$.