-
Can't set X resolution to 1280x1024 after installing to HD
When I previously ran from the CD, I would force Knoppix to start my GeForce4Ti4600 card in 1280x1024, 24-bit mode by using the boot options "screen" and "depth". Now, after installing Knoppix to my HD, I can only get X to run in 1024x768, 24-bit mode. In the bootup messages, I can see that when I use the boot option "screen=1280x1024", Knoppix says: "Using modes '1280x1024' '1024x768' ...(etc)" but from the KDE "Configure - Desktop" dialog, there is no "1280x1024" selection available in the "Screen" drop-down box, and the highest it can let me choose is 1024x768.
Any ideas on why the boot options worked when I ran Knoppix from CD, but now no longer work when I run from HD??
-
OK, I figured it out. I just had to add "1280x1024" to my "Modes" line in XF86Config-4. I just didn't know that XF86Config-4 was THE XF86Config to change (been a while since I had to mess with this stuff...)
Thanks anyways.
-
Senior Member
registered user
marktam264,
A "common" trick, is to boot the Live CD, and if something works in the Live CD, but NOT in your install, then copy / change your hard drive installed XF86Config-4 file with what is used in the Live CD version... Not sure why the hard drive install didnt obtain the same information, like you said, the 1280x1024 line, but, this practice can be used on more serious problems...
Mostly, this "resolve" can be used when you change "something" that hoses your hard drive install, this can get you back...
Glad you resolved it on your own, and got it working 
Ms. Cuddles
Similar Threads
-
By rspiteri in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-22-2007, 05:27 PM
-
By cvevans in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-16-2006, 05:13 PM
-
By yakirz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-09-2005, 05:18 PM
-
By iomari in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-12-2003, 06:31 PM
-
By Emanem in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-23-2003, 10:37 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive
$59.99

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$246.00

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1MB- 64GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick Jump Drive Lot
$385.00

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99