Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Can't set X resolution to 1280x1024 after installing to HD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2

    Can't set X resolution to 1280x1024 after installing to HD

    When I previously ran from the CD, I would force Knoppix to start my GeForce4Ti4600 card in 1280x1024, 24-bit mode by using the boot options "screen" and "depth". Now, after installing Knoppix to my HD, I can only get X to run in 1024x768, 24-bit mode. In the bootup messages, I can see that when I use the boot option "screen=1280x1024", Knoppix says: "Using modes '1280x1024' '1024x768' ...(etc)" but from the KDE "Configure - Desktop" dialog, there is no "1280x1024" selection available in the "Screen" drop-down box, and the highest it can let me choose is 1024x768.

    Any ideas on why the boot options worked when I ran Knoppix from CD, but now no longer work when I run from HD??

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2
    OK, I figured it out. I just had to add "1280x1024" to my "Modes" line in XF86Config-4. I just didn't know that XF86Config-4 was THE XF86Config to change (been a while since I had to mess with this stuff...)

    Thanks anyways.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    marktam264,

    A "common" trick, is to boot the Live CD, and if something works in the Live CD, but NOT in your install, then copy / change your hard drive installed XF86Config-4 file with what is used in the Live CD version... Not sure why the hard drive install didnt obtain the same information, like you said, the 1280x1024 line, but, this practice can be used on more serious problems...

    Mostly, this "resolve" can be used when you change "something" that hoses your hard drive install, this can get you back...

    Glad you resolved it on your own, and got it working
    Ms. Cuddles

Similar Threads

  1. 1280x1024 Resolution
    By rspiteri in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-22-2007, 05:27 PM
  2. Dell LCD resolution problems - screen=1280x1024 drops to 800
    By cvevans in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-16-2006, 05:13 PM
  3. Can't change resolution after installing to HD
    By yakirz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-09-2005, 05:18 PM
  4. 1280x1024 resolution
    By iomari in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-12-2003, 06:31 PM
  5. Troubles trying to run in 1280x1024
    By Emanem in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-23-2003, 10:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Amiga Commodore A500  - Untested-For Parts or Repair - Vintage picture

Amiga Commodore A500 - Untested-For Parts or Repair - Vintage

$200.00



RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500 picture

RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500

$50.00



Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ picture

Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ

$329.00



(10) BOXED Games for Commodore Amiga 500 600 1000 1200 2000 3000(T) 4000(T) picture

(10) BOXED Games for Commodore Amiga 500 600 1000 1200 2000 3000(T) 4000(T)

$329.98



Commodore Amiga 500 w/ 512K comes with manuals, turns on and boots from floppy picture

Commodore Amiga 500 w/ 512K comes with manuals, turns on and boots from floppy

$499.99



Amiga Model 1080 RGB color CRT monitor - Parts Or Repair - Doesn’t Power On picture

Amiga Model 1080 RGB color CRT monitor - Parts Or Repair - Doesn’t Power On

$100.00



Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000 picture

Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000

$249.00



BlueSCSI v2 Internal 50-pin 3.5

BlueSCSI v2 Internal 50-pin 3.5" SCSI Drive ,Wi-Fi,For Macintosh, Amiga, PC

$52.99



Best FlickerFixer RGB2HDMI Amiga HDMI Games, non-RTG A2000CPLDSlot v2.2 picture

Best FlickerFixer RGB2HDMI Amiga HDMI Games, non-RTG A2000CPLDSlot v2.2

$75.00



Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore VIC-20 Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99