Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Help--transfering HD image from Fat32 to Fat32

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2

    Help--transfering HD image from Fat32 to Fat32

    so I'm trying to back up my 2 partitions on my desktop PC's main HD. I already used ntfsclone to copy the main HD patition (NTFS) as an image over to my external HD (FAT32), but now I have a problem.

    I'm using dd to copy another, smaller partition over to the external, FAT32 to FAT32, but the command I have from a friend does not include splitting the file. And the partition is just over 4 gigs (5.0 GB)

    Code:
    dd if=/dev/hda1 bs=16M | gzip -9c > /media/sda1/PC_HD_IMG/Ddrive/hda1.vfat.gz
    I can't seem to find anything online about how to put the split command into that line. I've tried guessing on my own but it didn't work. I don't know if the info isn't already out there of or my search-fu is weak.

    Also, I'm a total newb to using linux root

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2
    Alright, crisis averted. I just figured it out on my own.

    Used:
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/hda1 bs=16M | gzip -9c | split --bytes=1024m - /media/sda1/PC_HD_IMG/Ddrive/hda1.vfat.gz
    Nothing to see here, go about your business <_<

Similar Threads

  1. mk-image on fat32 - 4GB file size limit?
    By dahveed3 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-21-2008, 02:58 PM
  2. Knoppix 4.0 DVD PMI on FAT32
    By eco2geek in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-25-2005, 10:21 PM
  3. Cant mount ext FAT32 HDD!
    By dav2900 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-17-2005, 02:21 PM
  4. Boot floppy fails to find KNOPPIX image on FAT32
    By vitoprimo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 10:04 PM
  5. HD Install on FAT32/DOS ?
    By Loki in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-25-2003, 04:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km picture

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km

$15.99



Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor

$14.49



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell Precision T5820 950W Workstation 4.00GHz W-2125 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 950W Workstation 4.00GHz W-2125 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$144.98