Is it a FAT partition (which is ok to write to) or an NTFS partition (which you will corrupt if you write to)?
Hi, somebody can tell me how can I write something on mnt/hda2 _
When i try to do it I receive an Could not make folder mnt/hda2/new error... About the same error appears if I try to write a file..
(I use the live cd...)
Is it a FAT partition (which is ok to write to) or an NTFS partition (which you will corrupt if you write to)?
it is an nfts partition... so i can-t write nothing on it?
NTFS is proprietary for Microsoft, though a few Linux "guru's" have worked out some driver support for it, you can try them...Originally Posted by camicio
Look at information on "Captive NTFS" -=- possibly do a search on Knoppix.net on the subject captive ntfs -=- or look at the Documentation (Wiki) on the subject.
Hopefully, this helps,
Ms. Cuddles
Thank you for your answers but when i tried to use the script that is written here http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...t=captive+ntfs
I get this error (after the last line)
root@ttyp0[knoppix]# mount -t captive-ntfs /dev/hda5 /c
W32 filesystem .sys module not found: /var/lib/captive/ntfs.sys at /sbin/mount.captive-ntfs line 65.
You should run captive-install-acquire(1) of 'captive-install' package,
otherwise you can also acquire this file from URL:
http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/p...eckedbuild.asp
and I don-t know what shall I do...
Howewer I don-t absolutely need to write on this partition... I have to burn a file from a computer on a lan and i thought that to move it on this computer was the better way, but if you can tell me another way to do it will howewer be ok..
(I can-t move it to desktop because the file is too big and it says Kdesktop> disk full or something similar...)
Thank you in advance for your answers..
if its a small file save it to floppy. or email it to your self
camicio,
I would suggest you do what pureone suggested, as a quick fix...
If you plan to do a lot of this "passing files" stuff, possibly look into how you can make a small, possibly a 1 GB partition on your NTFS drive, and make it FAT -=- I am quite sure Windows has utilities to do this, and not harm your data or system files retained on your Windows NTFS drive... ( or possibly, add another hard drive into your system that can be used as a FAT )
Having a "common" format partition, a FAT partition, that is, can help in the long run - that way, Windows can "use" that partition, and so can Linux / Knoppix... The whole NTFS stuff can be "If'y" at best - and playing around with a Windows partition can possibly cause "Windows" not to be happy - something you dont want to do, I am sure![]()
I can-t use Windows so I can-t create any FAT partition and the file I would like to burn it-s too big...
Can-t I make the Kdesktop (I mean "partition" where the files are when you put them to the desktop..) the bigger in order to put the file there and then burn it?
I think the problem is that you are booting off the CD. When you boot off the CD, your RAM ( or memory ) is being used as a RAM DISK, that is where the OS, and file system, and even your desktop, is being stored - in memory. You only have so much memory, and thus, the "disk full" error you are getting, is that you have exceeded the RAM that is being used as your disk drive...
You could create a folder / directory, on the file system, but, then again, that will still only be in your current RAM, still. What you need is a "physical" hard drive. And preferably not NTFS, unless you want to follow the instructions that your error message stated... Which, "might", get your NTFS working ( no promisses, I've never worked within NTFS, nor from the Linux side )
Ah... so here-s why the computer was very slowly after the partial copy of the file...
I tried to go to the link that the error stated but the file I can download there is a .exe files that works only on Windows XP Professional Checked Build...

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99
Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95
Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93
Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99
Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99
Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$488.00
Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710
$349.99
Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99