-
No graphics on Dell Inspiron 510m
I work at a university and we're develpoing a Knoppix remaster which we've given out to some students to test. We've got one student with a Dell Inspiron 510m (bought last summer) and we just can't get the graphics to work. It uses integrated Intel graphics 82852/82855 GM/GME. This is correctly recognised when Knoppix is booting, and it tries to use the i810 module, which would seem to be sensible. However, when Knoppix tries to start the X server, we get:
[drm:drm_init] *ERROR* Cannot initialise the agpgart module
..
Retrying with Server XFree86(vesa)
Retrying with Server XFree86(fbdev)
Error: No suitable X-Server found for you card
I've tried starting with "failsafe", "knoppix26", "fb800x600" etc. but it still doesn't work. Our remaster is based on Knoppix 3.4 but I've tried with an unaltered Knoppix 3.6, and 3.7 and still get the same result. Any ideas why it isn't working even though it correctly identifies the graphics chipset???
many thanks...
-
Senior Member
registered user
There has been a fair amount of posts on problems with integrated graphics.
Have you tried cheat code "knoppix xmodule=i810" at boot?
I don't have one of these boards but as i said I have seen several
posts complaining about no xserver with them. http://www.google.com/custom?domains...D%3A1%3B&hl=en
-

Originally Posted by
eon
Have you tried cheat code "knoppix xmodule=i810" at boot?
Yes, I did. Although I didn't try it with a different xserver. I don't know if that might be worth a try?
I've also found some downloads at http://www.chzsoft.com.ar/855patch.html which are worth looking at.
-
the only way for me to get X in knoppix is to specify screen=1280x1024 (you may choose another resolution) and use vga=normal. The i810 really doesn't like framebuffering so everything in virtual terminals is huge 
And so my complete bootstring concists of: knoppix26 lang=us screen=1280x1024 vga=normal
-
In the end, I didn't need any of the patches. The issue was solved by setting the refresh rates correctly. The relevant cheatcode was:
vsync=100.0
Thanks.
Similar Threads
-
By Trunkz in forum Laptops
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-18-2004, 03:55 PM
-
By manub in forum Laptops
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-12-2004, 01:37 AM
-
By john2003 in forum Laptops
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-02-2003, 10:31 PM
-
By Adam in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 6
Last Post: 01-18-2003, 11:20 PM
-
By seani in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-10-2003, 05:28 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$155.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$248.00

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00

Protectli Vault FW4C-0-8-120 - 4 port, Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 128GB
$180.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$239.99

NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX
$69.99

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed
$202.50