Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Persistent home and NTFS

  1. #1

    Persistent home and NTFS

    From reading a lot of the discussions in this forum, I realize that I cannot create a persistent home file (knoppix.img) on an NTFS partition. Although it hasn't been stated, I am assuming this is because this file would be resized as needed by Knoppix, which would endanger my NTFS partition.

    Unfortunately, my situation is that I only have an NTFS partition, and I cannot shrink it or change the drive in any way. So my question is, why can't I mount a file on the NTFS partition as its own partition (size is fixed) and then point to this new partition as the home directory?

    I have a file on my NTFS partition that is formatted as ext2 that I use in a different Linux distribution (I can read and write to this file safely when running this Linux distribution because as a mounted partition, the size does not change.) Using the Knoppix live-CD version, I was able to mount this file as a partition and view the files within. But I could not write to the file. I am assuming that this is because the Knoppix Live-CD makes the NTFS partition read-only, and therefore my formatted file is also read only. Trying to mount as read/write caused an error.

    Is there a way I can force the Live-CD to make the NTFS partition read-write, or at least make my formatted file read-write? Can I use GRUB or LILO to mount a file as a partition and then set home = that partition? I am sure with the smarts I have seen in this forum, someone can help me work a solution to this problem.

    Thanks!
    Matt

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Have you tried 'mount -t ntfs -rw /dev/hdaxx /mnt/hdaxx' from root console. I'm just guessing, I don't have ntfs but I think a consloe command should force it.
    Persistent home doesn't change size, when you create a persistent home as a file it asks for the amount of space you want o allocate & sets it at that size. but I don't think the create persistent home script will write to ntfs 'cause it doesn't use captive ntfs & a direct write will damage the ntfs system.

  3. #3
    I can try to mount the drive with -rw, but you are right when you say that creating the file would mess up the NTFS drive. But what if I have already created the file, and knoppix reads and writes to the file without changing the size? My understanding is that this is ok as long as you don't try to change the size of the drive.

    So I guess I want to know how to point to a persistent home in knoppix without going through the creation script. I would also need to know what is on the persistent home (is it a file formatted as ext2?) I think if I did this, Knoppix could use the file as long as it booted with write permission.

    This is a lot of stuff, but I would like to try. Can anyone give me some info on wat kind of file the persistent home is, and how I can read and write to this file on NTFS right from the bootup?

Similar Threads

  1. NTFS Persistent Home?
    By Laos in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-13-2007, 08:37 PM
  2. Persistent home from NTFS works in Knoppix 3.8.1
    By eco2geek in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-05-2006, 12:13 AM
  3. Working with a persistent home on a NTFS partition
    By ugo in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-13-2006, 06:36 PM
  4. persistent home on captive ntfs
    By knopstar in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-20-2004, 03:54 AM
  5. Persistent home possible with captive NTFS?
    By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2004, 12:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



HDD 3.5

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy

$35.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Western Digital Blue (7200RPM, 3.5

Western Digital Blue (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 64MB Cache) 1TB HDD

$19.90



Hitachi Ultrastar 3TB 7200RPM 3.5in SATA III 6Gb/s - enterprise-grade hard drive picture

Hitachi Ultrastar 3TB 7200RPM 3.5in SATA III 6Gb/s - enterprise-grade hard drive

$49.00



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$343.98



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99