Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Samba server config tool

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    252

    Samba server config tool

    I am in the process of fully converting my existing w2k pc to knoppix.

    This is suprisingly well on the way.
    I can do almost everything I did on this W2K now on knoppix.

    BUT..

    sharing a folder,drive or printer form knoppix is real pain.

    Isn't it possible to add next a Samba Server Config Tool with a GUI next time ?
    (for example the KSambaPlugin : KSambaPlugin is a KDE 3 plugin for configuring a SAMBA server.
    It consists of two plugins, a KControl Center module for all SAMBA
    options and a Konqueror properties dialog plugin
    for quickly configuring the SAMBA share options of a directory)

    I think if you want to really use knoppix to replace windooze you've got to add this one.

    Greetzzzz....

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    It is included in KnoppixKDE, the remaster by eadz. I also like it a lot. Please write a mail to Klaus Knopper and ask him to include it in regular Knoppix. But I guess there is no debian package yet due to debian's imminent stable/testing/unstable problematic...

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by probono
    It is included in KnoppixKDE, the remaster by eadz. I also like it a lot. Please write a mail to Klaus Knopper and ask him to include it in regular Knoppix. But I guess there is no debian package yet due to debian's imminent stable/testing/unstable problematic...
    I think there is, at least in the woody-version used earlier and they are compatible ... I am trying to include it in my live-installer ...

    But tha'll take some time as I need to hack kdesu

    cu

    Fabian

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabianx
    I think there is, at least in the woody-version used earlier and they are compatible ... I am trying to include it in my live-installer ...
    If there is a .deb, why not just send it to KK?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabianx
    But tha'll take some time as I need to hack kdesu
    http://www.stack.nl/~geertj/kde/kdesu.html says, "from now on, every KDE version will have kdesu built in" - so it should be already in Knoppix?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by probono
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabianx
    I think there is, at least in the woody-version used earlier and they are compatible ... I am trying to include it in my live-installer ...
    If there is a .deb, why not just send it to KK?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabianx
    But tha'll take some time as I need to hack kdesu
    http://www.stack.nl/~geertj/kde/kdesu.html says, "from now on, every KDE version will have kdesu built in" - so it should be already in Knoppix?
    Hm, there is no .deb in unstable available. I could not yet test, if the woody-version works with unstable-kde ... Sorry, that was misinformation.

    I need to hack kdesu to be prefixed through sudo, as on running Knoppix there is no root-password one could enter.

    cu

    Fabian

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabianx
    I need to hack kdesu to be prefixed through sudo, as on running Knoppix there is no root-password one could enter.
    But also include the normal version, knx-hdinstall should swap binaries then.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabianx
    I need to hack kdesu to be prefixed through sudo, as on running Knoppix there is no root-password one could enter.
    I see, you are a genius

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    East Lansing, MI USA
    Posts
    3
    I'm a relative newbie....I've installed and dumped many versions of Linux. But Knoppix is great! I love apt-get.

    I have access to the printer connected to my WinXP box (LPT1) and a shared folder on same machine.

    I used the kde print manager (with CUPS) and LinNeighborhood. If I can do it anyone can.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    61

    What problems?

    I haven't had many problems with Samba setup on 3.1.

    To get anywhere you have to ctrl-alt-F2 into root and set a password but after that things go ok. You have to add the connection lines to the Knoppix.sh file manually after you run a config, but it's really easy. The only thing haven't liked was the lack of boot login, but that could probably be fixed with a little more learning shell scripting. The neat thing about the .sh file is that it runs as root when it starts up! Any pre-setup you need dump in the file and it will take care of itself!

    That said, I connect at work to another windows PC/browse network, as/400 shared folders, telnet to the 400 [no tn5250 in knoppix] , and use the network printer. I can also share/browse knoppix pc folders with the Windows PCs.

    It took a bit of setup, but it starts up cleaner than the installed windows 98--all from a CD and Floppy!

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    252
    Still no GUI samba config tool on last release of knoppix (10-04-2003)
    Doesn't we all need this ????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix as Samba server
    By charliet in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-05-2004, 06:50 PM
  2. help with authentication using samba server!!!
    By npyang in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2003, 04:43 AM
  3. Configure Samba Server
    By koselan in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-01-2003, 04:17 PM
  4. How to save the config of Samba?
    By lhr in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-28-2003, 03:27 PM
  5. Samba Config ?!
    By MichielioZ in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-27-2003, 03:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM Storwize V5000E V5030E SAN Storage Control Enclosure Server w/ Dual 02PX517 picture

IBM Storwize V5000E V5030E SAN Storage Control Enclosure Server w/ Dual 02PX517

$1249.99



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$225.00



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99