Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: LILO installed to wrong MBR?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    200

    LILO installed to wrong MBR?

    Ok so here's what I've done so far:
    Partition my 40GB HDD with 19GB at hda1 for Windows, 20GB at hda2 for Linux, and 1GB at hda3 for swap.
    I installed Windows XP to hda1 and it re-wrote my MBR. Not a problem - I haven't installed Knoppix yet.
    Installed Knoppix to hda2. It went fine.
    I reboot
    It boots Windows.
    How do I install LILO/GRUB to the MBR now?
    [edit] after reading around a bit, it seems that LILO may have been installed to the "MBR" of hda2 instead of hda1. Is there a way to install just the bootloader to the MBR on hda1 when running Knoppix from CD?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    You should be able to start your knoppix HD install from the CD with the bootcode 'knoppix root=/dev/hda5 noinitrd ro' (replace hda5 with the correct partition for where you installed knoppix to (hdb1?)).
    Then check /etc/lilo.conf. If for the line 'boot=/dev/hd??'. Lilo should install to the MBR of whichever HD is specified there. You can install lilo from the HD install with the command 'sudo lilo'.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    200
    Ok, I did that... I get this error:
    /dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
    Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
    /dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
    Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
    Incompatible libdevmapper 1.00.19-ioctl (2004-07-03)(compat) and kernel driver
    Warning: Unable to determine video adapter in use in the present system.
    Fatal: open /usr/share/lilo/contrib/debian.bmp: No such file or directory

    I think I'm going to push the image of my current XP partition out to hda2 with partimage, and then install knoppix on hda1. Hopefully that will alleviate this issue...

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    the /dev/mapper error has been encountered before, see the last post on this thread:
    www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16328

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    200
    Thank you so much CrashedAgain!
    It worked like a charm!

Similar Threads

  1. Booting the wrong Kernel - Knoppix, Slackware, LiLo
    By thejackal13 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-21-2005, 12:30 AM
  2. Wrong MBR for Lilo when using koppix 3.7 HD installer script
    By devellino in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-29-2004, 03:16 AM
  3. Installed Windows and LILO was erased
    By emmbec in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-09-2004, 11:16 PM
  4. I've lost the drive I installed on, how to remove lilo?
    By Drezliok in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-20-2004, 11:00 AM
  5. What`s wrong with Lilo?
    By diginik in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-07-2004, 11:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$34.01