Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Newbie unclear on the Knoppix-as-hardware-detector concept

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    8

    Newbie unclear on the Knoppix-as-hardware-detector concept

    I´m having problems with hardware on my laptop. I´ve heard about Knoppix, but I´m unclear on exactly how Knoppix can help me with my hardware problems, other than by confirming that the machine can in fact run a decent version of Linux. What I´m confused about is, once I get Knoppix CD to boot, and the desktop to come up, how can I translate this into concrete configuration steps for the ¨main¨ Linux system on the hard drive?

    Thanks!

    kj

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    In a house... hopefully
    Posts
    554
    well... to tell you the truth... knoppix is a tempery system... one the power goes off, its gone in the wind... *wind blows*.. i dont know if you really can do that... but for question asking...

    What Linux dis. do you have???

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3
    It *is* a temporary system, but you can also install it to your harddrive if you like.
    Also, If you are just using it to detect hardware so you can run another distro, you can take a look at the config files knoppix automatically creates and copy them over to your 'real' linux installation.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Florida USA
    Posts
    2

    installing a second cd-rom

    I am currently running Knoppix 3.4 with linux kernel 2.4.
    My computer has a cd-rw installed that works fine with Knoppix
    I also have a dvd-rom I tried to install, Koppix reccognized that there was a DVD present but when I try to access it Knoppix defualts to the cd-rw and says it can't find the media.
    Is there a way to tell Knoppix which cd player to access when asking for the DVD or the cd-rw?
    Thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Using Knoppix as a hardware detector
    By IrateNinja in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-06-2006, 09:18 AM
  2. Knoppix does not detect my hardware
    By Aphex_Twin in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-27-2005, 10:47 AM
  3. Knoppix Hardware Autoconfiguration
    By Rajaat in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-09-2004, 05:06 AM
  4. Add special hardware to the hardware detection on boot
    By Danmak in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-2003, 03:40 AM
  5. How do you install hardware in Knoppix 3.3?
    By Waylander in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-09-2003, 03:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99



24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC picture

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC

$349.99



M321R4GA0BB0-CQK Samsung 32GB PC5-38400 DDR5-4800MHz Registered ECC CL40 RDIMM picture

M321R4GA0BB0-CQK Samsung 32GB PC5-38400 DDR5-4800MHz Registered ECC CL40 RDIMM

$550.00



Transcend 96GB (6x16GB) 2Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 ECC UDIMM Server RAM TS2GLH72V6B picture

Transcend 96GB (6x16GB) 2Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 ECC UDIMM Server RAM TS2GLH72V6B

$299.00



HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK HYNIX 32GB (1X32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 MEMORY picture

HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK HYNIX 32GB (1X32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 MEMORY

$219.00



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Samsung Planet First 8GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600R picture

Samsung Planet First 8GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600R

$341.00