Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: I can't seem to load KDE... stays at console

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    philippines
    Posts
    2

    I can't seem to load KDE... stays at console

    My friend just gave me a copy of knoppix 3.6 a few months ago, and have used it actually in parallel with Windows. The OS's really cool for my programming needs and intend to use it permanently (though I'm not totally removing M$ Win on my machine :P). But a few days after installing, everytime I startup my PC, knoppix seems to report an error loading KDE (says something about KDE is unstable or something), then boots to console. After a few days of not using it (i don't anything yet on linux console cmds), it finally loaded KDE.

    I'm now trying to download 3.7, but I thought maybe I can ask other long time knoppix users about this.

    any help will be appreciated.

    cheers

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    You could try (re)installing KDE. 'Apt-get update' first to update your sources database then 'apt-get install kdebase'. 'Apt-get -t unstable install kdebase' to get the latest version.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    philippines
    Posts
    2
    i just got my 3.7 version, i'll try this one first. i'll save this thread should i get this problem again. tnx.

    btw, I have an old monitor (NTC brand), I tried the cheat "fb1024x768" but didn't seem to work (with Windows looks ok). The max res. I got with knoppix 3.7 was only 800x600. Does this mean I have to change for a compatible monitor?

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3
    I had that problem also, do a apt-get remove xdm and that fixes it. It seems that xdm and kdm conflict with eachother somehow and kdm won't start if it sees it's the not the default manager.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 5.0.1 'sees' eth0 but network stays DOWN
    By JohnnyH in forum Networking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-11-2006, 05:34 PM
  2. knoppix will load, but after system starts, GUI wont load.
    By n()()dle in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 01:39 AM
  3. Good Grief!! Can't Load, Won't Load
    By Medicate in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 07:08 AM
  4. Knoppix Shuts Down but PC Stays On
    By jMon54 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-18-2004, 02:13 AM
  5. knoppix software stays installed??
    By tukonii in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-14-2004, 05:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ picture

Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ

$329.00



RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500 picture

RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500

$50.00



 Pi1541 Zero with Epyx Fastload Hat, Case & 16gb SD for Commodore 64 and 128  picture

Pi1541 Zero with Epyx Fastload Hat, Case & 16gb SD for Commodore 64 and 128

$79.99



Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000 picture

Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000

$249.00



Commodore Amiga 500 Motherboard Rev 5, A500 #548 (As-Is) picture

Commodore Amiga 500 Motherboard Rev 5, A500 #548 (As-Is)

$64.75



Amiga 1000 Computer w/ Monitor Keyboard Mouse Disc Drive Sidecar Expansion Discs picture

Amiga 1000 Computer w/ Monitor Keyboard Mouse Disc Drive Sidecar Expansion Discs

$950.00



Amiga 2000 2630/CPU 68030 25Mhz picture

Amiga 2000 2630/CPU 68030 25Mhz

$300.00



Commodore Amiga 4000 Motherboard Rev B - untested picture

Commodore Amiga 4000 Motherboard Rev B - untested

$225.00



68000 CPU Amiga 2000 Slot Adapter picture

68000 CPU Amiga 2000 Slot Adapter

$25.00



OPEN BOX - AMIGA Genlock Interface Vintage Video Adapter 1300- GREAT picture

OPEN BOX - AMIGA Genlock Interface Vintage Video Adapter 1300- GREAT

$329.95