-
/etc/resolv.conf is good but DNS is not working
Using Knoppix 3.6, booted straight off the CD with no customisations
DHCP correctly gives my machine an IP address, and the correct default route, and correctly populates /etc/resolv.conf
I can "dig" the name servers (not with any kind of finesse, but I can at least connect to them), and I can ping hosts inside and outside of my LAN by using IP addresses. However, when I try to ping by hostname, it fails to resolve the name to a number and fails with "unknown host".
I have not found the first few pages of Google results helpful. What troubleshooting steps would you recommend next?
<edit>
You wanna hear something odd? I jusyt tried booting again to see if I could gather any other useful data, and I *can* resolve (i.e. ping by name) a.root-servers.net through m.root-servers.net, but still no other hosts that I've tried.
</edit>
Thanks for your time,
-
Senior Member
registered user
i would try some trouble shoting with ethereal if i was you. what happens when you try to ping www.google.com does it say host not found. if it did say host not found then i would guess you wouldnt beable to surf the web at all. if you can surf the web then i guess your resolve is actuly working but it may need a few attempts to reslove the host.normaly i find with in lans pinging via host names does not always work 100% correctly
-
Hi,
what does /etc/resolv.conf look like, then?
Thomas
-

Originally Posted by
tom p
what does /etc/resolv.conf look like, then?
One "search" line, and three "nameserver" lines, just as a resolv.conf should. The domain name is correct (at least, it matches my ISP), and I can ping, traceroute and dig all three nameservers listed. FWIW, the same box with Win2K has no (apparent) problems.
Pureone suggested using ethereal to see exactly what is being requested and when. I suppose it's plausible that the dig mechanism is independent of -- and in my case not as broken as -- the method ping uses, but I thought they both relied on the same calls. FWIW, on this subject "host" doesn't work either.
I'm supposed to be doing a college assignment right now, though, so I can't be as useful as perhaps I should be...
Similar Threads
-
By knoppa in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-08-2006, 02:01 AM
-
By Vyper in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-13-2006, 01:45 PM
-
By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 11
Last Post: 12-05-2003, 05:03 PM
-
By Geist3 in forum Networking
Replies: 6
Last Post: 08-01-2003, 12:49 PM
-
By Joseph Schiller in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-12-2003, 06:30 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount
$489.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...
$324.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$248.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99