Never used Knoppix, but it has been recommended to me as it may help me fix a windows XP NTFS based system. However I note from these forums there can be problems with data corruption writing to NTFS, I just want to be able to delete three infected files from the primary partition [see below].
So I have a couple of questions regarding this
1. is it possible to safely delete these files assuming I can successfully mount the partition
2. why am I recieving the error msg when attempting to mount the NTFS partion
3. is there proper support for capturing NTFS partions built in to this version of Knoppix,[there appears to be conflicting reports about this]
I have a machine infected by some kind of Trojan that creates two exe files each boot up. These files are hidden so I am unable to delete them whatever I try, safe mode or booting with a Bart's PE CD whatever.
My research tells me I have to mount the NTFS volumes to enable write properties, however following the instruction I have does not work.
I am running off a Knoppix V.3.6 CD, open a command window and enter these commands as per the instructions:
su -
# mkdir /mnt/captive-win
#mount -t captive-ntfs /dev/hda8 /mnt/captive-win
Here is the error msg recieved when attempting to mount a volume:
imagepath not readable /devhda8 at /sbin/mount captive-ntfs line 43.
The HDD in this machine is configured as follows
C: Primary
D: logical
E: logical
F: logical
G: logical [this is hda8]
H: USB pen drive
R: CD-R
W: CD-RW
Is anyone able to get me up and running here, basicaly I want to be able to mount the c: partition and navigate to the C:\windows\system32 folder to delete the infected files. backing up the system's data and cleaning off the hdd isn't realy an option we want to take, so hopefully Knoppix can fix the problem.
rgds
Li'l Roberto

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$102.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive
$39.99
Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot
$79.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00
2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.80
Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99
Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health
$24.00
Samsung 850 PRO 512GB 2.5" SATA SSD MZ-7KE512 MZ7KE512
$65.00
Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD
$23.00