Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Joystick not working

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2

    Joystick not working

    Hello all,

    I have Knoppix 3.7 installed to HD, knoppix-mode, running on a generic 900mhz AMD MB with integrated
    ports. Everything works ok (that I care about) except for the joystick and I'd really like to get that going.
    I don't want to "just use the games knoppix" but rather learn how to make this work, it's just a "standard"
    (wired by me) 2-axis joystick that shows up at port $201, verified to work fine under MSDOS on this
    same machine. This should be a no-brainer. Joystick drivers appear to be loaded, got the /dev/'s but they
    return device not attached. Perhaps they're set to the wrong hardware but I know not what I do... tried
    modprobe joydev but that didn't do anything (no errors, no output when sudo), afraid to poke around
    too much without knowledge of what I'm doing.

    If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!

    Terry Newton

    Output of lspci -v... (not that it helps but forum note says post it.. the number for video mem looks wrong,
    I don't have 128M video mem, it's 16M-32M and yes sisfb fatals and defaults to plain VGA, fine by me unless
    that's what's making the JS not work... I seriously doubt it)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 730 Host (rev 02)
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32
    Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64M]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:00:00.1 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE] (rev d0) (prog-if 80 [Master])
    Subsystem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS5513 EIDE Controller (A,B step)
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 16
    I/O ports at ff00 [size=16]

    0000:00:01.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS85C503/5513 (LPC Bridge)
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0

    0000:00:01.1 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 82)
    Subsystem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 10/100 Ethernet Adapter
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 5
    I/O ports at cc00 [size=256]
    Memory at cfff7000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Expansion ROM at cffc0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:00:01.2 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller (rev 07) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
    Subsystem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 3
    Memory at cfffc000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

    0000:00:01.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0 Controller (rev 07) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
    Subsystem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Onboard USB Controller
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 3
    Memory at cfffd000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

    0000:00:01.4 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS PCI Audio Accelerator (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS PCI Audio Accelerator
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
    I/O ports at d000 [size=256]
    Memory at cfffe000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:00:01.6 Modem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Modem Controller (rev a0) (prog-if 00 [Generic])
    Subsystem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Modem Controller
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 5
    I/O ports at d800 [size=256]
    I/O ports at d400 [size=128]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:00:02.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] Virtual PCI-to-PCI bridge (AGP) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
    Flags: bus master, VGA palette snoop, fast devsel, latency 0
    Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=0
    I/O behind bridge: 0000a000-0000afff
    Memory behind bridge: cfe00000-cfefffff
    Prefetchable memory behind bridge: bfc00000-cfcfffff

    0000:00:09.0 Parallel controller: Lava Computer mfg Inc Lava Parallel (prog-if 01 [BiDir])
    Flags: slow devsel, IRQ 11
    I/O ports at c800 [size=8]

    0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 630/730 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter (rev 31) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
    Subsystem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 630/730 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter
    Flags: 66MHz, medium devsel
    BIST result: 00
    Memory at c0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
    Memory at cfee0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
    I/O ports at ac00 [size=128]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2

    Re: Joystick not working

    Quote Originally Posted by TerryNewton
    ... I know not what I do...
    Figured it out... my boss had mercy on me and gave me a modern joystick and it works fine. I was wrong thinking the hardware had to be simple to work, Knoppix found this Microsoft USB joystick right away, even hot-plugged. Problem solved, Knoppix Rocks. Even works for dos games under DosEmu, now that's cool.

    Terry

Similar Threads

  1. Usb Joystick.
    By Crono in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-11-2005, 09:06 PM
  2. Running a USB joystick
    By Hellmark in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 12:12 AM
  3. gui for joystick calibration
    By raduen in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-28-2003, 01:08 PM
  4. sb live joystick (knoppix 3.3)
    By raduen in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-15-2003, 10:37 PM
  5. Joystick
    By fingers99 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-16-2003, 12:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Intel Xeon X5690 3.46GHz 6.4GT/s 12MB 6-core 1333MHz SLBVX processor picture

Intel Xeon X5690 3.46GHz 6.4GT/s 12MB 6-core 1333MHz SLBVX processor

$28.00



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision T7820 Dual Xeon 4214R 48GB RAM 512GB + 1TB Quadro P400 Win 11 picture

Dell Precision T7820 Dual Xeon 4214R 48GB RAM 512GB + 1TB Quadro P400 Win 11

$699.00



HP Z440 Workstation TWR Xeon E5-1603 v3, 8GB RAM, NVS310, SB1570, NO SSD/OS #95 picture

HP Z440 Workstation TWR Xeon E5-1603 v3, 8GB RAM, NVS310, SB1570, NO SSD/OS #95

$89.99