Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Install Knoppix & WinXP on the same HD

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    237

    dual boot

    Yes I did read alot about the order.....luckily for me, I had Winxp already installed on a separate hard drive when I decided to install KNOPPIX on a 2nd drive last year. Thats my desktop computer......but I decided to re do my laptop with a bigger hard drive and dual boot. I have been swapping out hard drives when I want to use Knoppix and Winxp.....This way, I will have the 2 OS's on the same drive. Actually it's a SMART idea for people to have a dual boot.....when they get frustrated with Windows, just re boot into the other OS!!!!

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    I usually go with the "two drive" method... ( and I've got the fstab entry for "win98" not auto-mounted )

    I've got one "pesky" CD Label program, from Avery, that refuses to run, without Windows, so, I booted to Win98 ( simply change the hard drive BIOS boot order ), installed the program, on its "native" Win98 disk, and have never booted Windows again... I just use WINE, and mount the drive...

    Even though I dont want to boot the Win98 install, every install, of Knoppix, and now, Kanotix, has still added an entry in either LILO or, now, GRUB... ( Like I want to ever boot Windows ? )

    But, it does show, contempt, that "Windows" refuses to acknowledge using another OS, whereas, Linux, appears to "expect" and "configure" for it, or at least "tolerate" the idea...

    Oh well, can we "chalk up another point" to the Linux side, and remove one for Windows?

    HEY Mr. Gates Can we, possibly, learn from our mistakes ( naaaaaaaaaa )

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    london town
    Posts
    220
    why dont you just delete windows? thats what im goner do it takes up too much space and is greedy it takes 27.5 gb of a 40gb hd and it cant even see linux on my hd. i dont like to run anything in wine it normaly doesnt work and there is normaly a alternative with in the open source world (even lemmnings )

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    YIKES! 27.5 GB ? that has to be WinXP, cause with my Win98, it resides on a nice little 2 GB partition, thats with DirectX 8.1, sound, and NVidia driver installs...

    Sheesh, 27.5 GB - can we say ... "bloated" ?

    EDIT:
    27.5 GB - not sure, dont know XP, but, does that include Office, Development ( like VB, VJ, or VC++ ), software? Or is that "vanilla" XP ?
    END EDIT

  5. #15
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    london town
    Posts
    220
    yes it takes way too much space thats why im goner get rid of it! it doesnt use all that 27gb it just laid a claim to it and uses 7gb of it. if it had the chance it would overwrite linux

    its xp pro with msvc++ some other large programs (dream weaver etc) and alot of media data and a few linux distro reside on there
    xp pro by default uses like 3 gb or something like that but lays claim to the entire hard drive. i could resize it to about 27gb so i had enough room for kanotix but im running out of room so windows will go

  6. #16
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    I never went past Win98... I dont "jump on the bandwagon", every time M$ sells another OS... I "had" considered WinNT, for its security, back when it was at "workstation v4", but, never got around to spending the money to get it... With all the "hell" going on with NTFS, I'm glad I never opt'ed to going to NT in the first place [smilly]

    I think, to be completely honest, and not to say, "support" M$, but, Win98 installed, completely "vanilla", without even setting up any hardware, around 800 MB, which is a nice "foot-print" to only use for WINE to "get its modules" from... I guess, to be the hater of M$, as I have come to be, I should "picket" Avery, and demand they make there label program "compliant" in Linux [weg]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix install and booting, on a pc with WinXP...
    By thebeing in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-29-2007, 11:22 PM
  2. Knoppix HDD install - i have no working linux.. winxp
    By outlawX in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 03:42 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 08:26 PM
  4. Install WinXP PRO from Knoppix CD
    By Shenr0n in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-08-2003, 01:32 AM
  5. *Newbie* help install KNOPPIX CD on WinXP
    By wardialer in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-07-2003, 12:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Datacenter 64Bit 24 Core 50 cal Freeshipping picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Datacenter 64Bit 24 Core 50 cal Freeshipping

$54.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64-bit 16 Core + 50 CALs |  picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64-bit 16 Core + 50 CALs |

$79.99



8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU picture

8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU

$1100.00